Advertisements in middle of threads?

Ding Ding

Recently starting seeing advertisements right in the middle of threads, usually multiple advertisements.

Anyone else experiencing this? This only started happening within the last couple days. Annoying!

I also saw "Walmart" as a link to Wally's homepage. No ads for me, just embedded links.

Not enough supporting members and needed revenue from other sources to keep the forum going, maybe? @Hent

It's SOVRN/Viglink affiliate links. They track clicks on links to places like Amazon and eBay, and if you actually buy something after linking over there, OldMiniBikes makes a bit of money.

I have the same on DO THE TON. There is an option to allow Viglink to change certain keywords like 'bike' into links to other products/services. You click on those links, and OldMiniBikes makes a bit of money. I don't have that option turned on - I find it a little intrusive. The affiliate link tracking is invisible to the user.

It's how the internet is paid for - any site you see posting links to Amazon is wrapping them up in affiliate link code to get paid.

Ding Ding

The ads have gotten even worse since I made this thread. Sometimes when I click on a thread, it brings up an entire page of advertising with an X in the corner to close the advertising window. The whole screen is an ad. Once I close the window the thread appears. I should note this on cell phone use only.

Still thinking it's RUSSIANS???