aftermarket carb for a 5 flathead

vwfan79

Someone who knows for sure will chime in but I think you can use a tecumseh carb. All the aftermarket ones I can think of require an intake of some sort.

you could run a briggs flo jet carb, it should bolt right on and they gravity feed instead of vacuum feeding like the pulsa jet.

If you watch on ebay or Bob's 4cycle forum you will often see a flat head 5 intake for tillotson for sale.

From there you can use any carb you like that uses the common tilly bolt pattern

a tech carb was mentioned, that would work with the intake....

Just my opinion.
But in 2013 to be wasting time and money on a flat head?
Money better spent on a clone...

Last edited:
$75 shipped for a briggs Flojet, the manifold tabs are broken where the stock throttle rod goes but for minibike use you would not use it anyway. It does take some engineering to get a throttle linkage set up but if you are mechanically inclined it's a snap. Comes with air cleaner assembly and filter, PM me if it interests you.

Newoldstock, yea I know but I only a couplebucks into it (less than 50) and I have a pred on my kart but I like these Briggs,and the part in witch they are made in the states //// and outlaw ace thanks for the offer but I'm just gatherin ideas right now

Newoldstock, yea I know but I only a couplebucks into it (less than 50) and I have a pred on my kart but I like these Briggs,and the part in witch they are made in the states //// and outlaw ace thanks for the offer but I'm just gatherin ideas right now
I have a few so let me know if you decide you want one.:thumbsup:

Do large chainsaw carbs work?
If they are Tillotson they will. When I was much younger and messing around at my uncles shop I brought home a few Tillotson carbs off big chain saws.

They looked just like what was on my kart, but much smaller bore. I tried running one on a stock engine and it didn't do too bad. Still have to use that adapter.

I'd look for a late model (as in some of the last produced) briggs I/C engines that came on generators. Bought a complete engine from a junkyard 2 years ago for $20 to turn around and sell on ebay for $120. It had that carb set up.

This is what I'm talking about. The last years made I guess they changed from I/C (industrial/commercial) to Industrial Plus.
Search ebay for a carb set up off one of these, that what I would do to make it easy.
Random google pic.

Last edited:
A tilly from a chainsaw can work as long as it's not too big. I got one from a Robin Jumping Jack and had it reworked by Korndog but never used it, sold it to Jeep and he said it worked perfectly. If you are on a budget you could make your own intake as I did and experiment with carbs, I settled on a 6hp Robin Subaru Mikuni carb and it works quite well. I have a 5.5hp intec carb that I plan to put on my next briggs fiver and I will make the intake for it as well.

A 8hp Tecumseh carb along with a 3-3.5hp Tecumseh manifold work great on a Briggs 5hp FH, both stock and modified. I also have a Tillotson (not sure the model) and manifold on another that also works very well. Personally, I would go with a Tilllotson over a Mikuni because of the adjustability with changing jets.

Also, if you can make your own manifold, and you take the time, a Honda/clone GX200 (6.5hp) carb will work.

Here is a HSK90 rotary carburetor on a rebuilt briggs 5hp.
I did test runs on E85 and the carburetor couldn't deliver enough fuel even with a fuel pump.
I never tested it for gasoline though.

5HorseBriggs,
how was the outcome & results? Any tips?

I was looking to add an after market carb for the same reason (to use my own tank, not too worried about more horse power either)

Keep in mind,
I've never added an aftermarket carb to anything,:shrug:
but i really want to learn and do it.
So, any additional guidance will be much appreciated & save me time & $$.

Thanks,
-Scumbag

Here is the engine i found...

Never used at an estate sale
its always sad looking through a dead persons stuff.
makes me wonder....