Aggie!

I was directed to this site from Reddit, and so far, I'm impressed!

I have an Aggie 97 which was bought for my uncle in 1970 for his 8th grade graduation. It was used until about 1979, when the spark plug blew out of the top of the Tecumseh engine (my grandfather apparently used an incorrectly sized plug). It languished in my grandmother's backyard from 1980 to a few months ago, when I took it out.

I was planning on making the original Tecumseh engine work, when I got into the cylinder and found enough rust pitting to challenge the Marianas Trench...

The HS40 is now in about a hundred parts, since a fellow student brought in a Honda GX engine and since I dont really have the money to object, I put a race air filter on it, a header, and a top plate (the gas tank doesnt fit underneath the frame).

Its in the process of restoration, although I think you guys would be able to answer some questions I have.

1) What size is the tire on it? The tires are Goodyears, labelled 4.10/3.5-6. (Are they 6"?)
2) What should I do for a gas tank? Current plan is to reuse the stock Honda tank, and mount it in front of the seat on the bike.
3) I've already started restoration of the bike, so I can't really do a before-after, but I plan on buying a HS50 block and retrofitting the HS40 parts to it, so would you all be interested in that restoration?

Thanks for reading! aggie.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to take the forks apart in January, as this bike is stored at my high school's power mechanics shop and I have no access to it.

The original Tecumseh engine is visible in the picture in the back.

EDIT: Does anyone make the front Aggie decal on here? I'd love to get my hands on a new one.

markus

Yes, the wheels are for 6" tires, the 4.10/3.50 x6 is the size. The GY's aren't made anymore but can still be found off and on. the newest one they made in that tread pattern and design were marked 4.00 6 "lawn service" but were still showed the same and work well in a "restoration". Not sure the how late they still made them but I bought a batch of them as late as a few years ago so It may be worth a shot stopping into some small equipment service shops that have been around a long time to see if they have any floating around in old stock still or maybe scrounge a nice set off a parts snowblower etc.. if you are in a northern area.

In case you dont know, those axles are pinned internally in the wheel, so you have to pull the pins from the tops of the fork and slide the lowers and wheel off as a unit off the upper fork before you can pull the wheel. They also have special flared washers in the eyelet ends of the lowers so don't loose those. The lowers are solid steel rods so they can be bent back into shape but be cautious of the aluminum eyelets that are formed onto the bottom when straightening!!!

Mounting the tank on the frame would mean some sort of tabs, That would ruin restoration efforts to that frame most likely. You could fashion maybe a round tank on top of the Honda engine if you using that as temporary power while rebuilding your original engine.

The taco seats were the same as what KOL was using in size and shape, one of the custom seat makers like karen/manchester1 on here or JKinterior out in Cali could probably replicate the original seat since they have that pattern on hand with the sparkle material that was seen a lot on the 97's

Yes, the wheels are for 6" tires, the 4.10/3.50 x6 is the size. The GY's aren't made anymore but can still be found off and on. the newest one they made in that tread pattern and design were marked 4.00 6 "lawn service" but were still showed the same and work well in a "restoration". Not sure the how late they still made them but I bought a batch of them as late as a few years ago so It may be worth a shot stopping into some small equipment service shops that have been around a long time to see if they have any floating around in old stock still or maybe scrounge a nice set off a parts snowblower etc.. if you are in a northern area.

In case you dont know, those axles are pinned internally in the wheel, so you have to pull the pins from the tops of the fork and slide the lowers and wheel off as a unit off the upper fork before you can pull the wheel. They also have special flared washers in the eyelet ends of the lowers so don't loose those. The lowers are solid steel rods so they can be bent back into shape but be cautious of the aluminum eyelets that are formed onto the bottom when straightening!!!

Mounting the tank on the frame would mean some sort of tabs, That would ruin restoration efforts to that frame most likely. You could fashion maybe a round tank on top of the Honda engine if you using that as temporary power while rebuilding your original engine.

The taco seats were the same as what KOL was using in size and shape, one of the custom seat makers like karen/manchester1 on here or JKinterior out in Cali could probably replicate the original seat since they have that pattern on hand with the sparkle material that was seen a lot on the 97's
That will be a nice bike..good luck..
Here's one I did a quickie Resto on for my son. Merry Christmas everyone

Attachments