Aircraft tires, dual disc brakes, belt clutch transmission; not a Cushman

Hi! -
Old Minibike members once helped me track down an old odd machine - turned out it was a plan/kit bike whose construction had me baffled. Some parts were very professional, while others were made with pliers and conduit. Thanks again for that one.
This one, however, I present as a challenge. Is it a one off, made by someone who wanted to set the bar back in the day? Or is it a production piece aimed at the Cushman market? All I can say is that I have never seen one like it. A guess at it's age would be mid to late 50's. Everything on it looks like it was there since new, including the aircraft tires on improbably wide aluminum wheels, an iron bodied transmission (which I'm guessing has two speeds) with a big chrome jockey shifter, dual mechanical disc brakes, and other details you are sure to notice in the pictures. The only clue on the fuel tank is a pattern of four tiny holes on the chrome wraps, right where an emblem should be.
I am dying to try this out, but need an idea of what it is before going very far into it. Your wildest guess, tales from the elders, and learned opinions are welcome. After all, I can't know any less than I do now...
Thanks!
Dan Larson

Attachments

Well the tank looks like it is from a Cushman. The holes in the trim are from where the emblem would have been. Same style gas cap as well.

Last edited:
Yup, same tank all right, which moves it more toward homebuilt. A competitor wouldn't use Cushman's own tank; more likely this is one man's custom version of how Cushmans should be. Looks like the frame was engineered around the aircraft balloon tires. Engine is a low HP rated 50's design (shroud with ratings plate is forthcoming). I have zero background in this type of transmission, but engine and trans are stand alone, not integrated like the Cushman. Some tinkering should tell how many speeds are in the box - I guessed two because of case size. The whole bike is put together very solidly, and is stylish enough to justify restoration; if it is a one off, though, there's a lot more latitude for attitude. Thanks Again! Dan

Must assuredly home built, very cool with a lot of parts from different machines. Built in the spirit of the original minibikes for sure, I love to see homebuilt minis,

Yup, same tank all right, which moves it more toward homebuilt. A competitor wouldn't use Cushman's own tank; more likely this is one man's custom version of how Cushmans should be. Looks like the frame was engineered around the aircraft balloon tires. Engine is a low HP rated 50's design (shroud with ratings plate is forthcoming). I have zero background in this type of transmission, but engine and trans are stand alone, not integrated like the Cushman. Some tinkering should tell how many speeds are in the box - I guessed two because of case size. The whole bike is put together very solidly, and is stylish enough to justify restoration; if it is a one off, though, there's a lot more latitude for attitude. Thanks Again! Dan
My guess as well that it is homebuilt. But definitely worth restoring it. It is such a unique bike. If you don't get around to restoring it and decide to sell it keep me in mind. I would love to take on that challenge. :thumbsup:

markus

That trans is a Cushman trans from the same place that tank came from......a cast iron engined "Eagle" It is just installed backwards. Gears internally are straight cut so it should be doable to run it like that but might want to get with a well educated cushman builder to get there thoughts on that.

Engine kinda looks to be a Kohler of some sort.

KB2ROCKET

Those wheels and tires are an excellent choice for a machine with no suspension after all they were made to drop out of the sky in a somewhat controlled fashion