Alexander and Reynolds Mini Bike

BSTC

Hello, Today I bought an Alexander Reynolds Mini Bike and would like to know more about it. I have searched the internet and can’t seem to find anything on the particular model I bought. I would like to know if it’s rare, if it’s all original and if it’s missing any parts. I will attach some photos I’ve taken...

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice survivor find! If you post the info( mainly the serial number ) from the engine tag located on the blower housing, it should date the bike pretty close. Not sure what your plans are for it but it looks like there is enough original paint left to preserve it pretty well. The molded Mesinger seats are notorious for bad foam, you can carefully remove the cover, re-foam the base and you're good to go...

Some casual observations related to originality, not necessarily function:

*Gas tank was originally metal , is now newer plastic snow king style, good used original metal tanks go for $50 to $85
*Chain guard is missing , but is available from OldMiniBikes warehouse
*Foot pegs were originally front crossbar , but have been cutoff and replaced with a mid peg set up
*Don't see a clear pic of the "sprocket as disc" brake set up, so I don't know if its there
*Grips may not be original
*That muffler looks like an S pipe mated to a hot dog??
*Gotta straighten the high speed forks of course.

Its a really nice bike and doesn't appear to need much to be restored....or if it runs ,you can ride it as is. Nice find.

PS . I am correct that all six of the bikes in the top two rows in the ARCO ad that Tom posted side poppers?

1971_MB1A

Looks like the front fork damage may of happened when it was fairly new then it was probably just put away and stored for many years. Nice original find.

BSTC

Nice survivor find! If you post the info( mainly the serial number ) from the engine tag located on the blower housing, it should date the bike pretty close. Not sure what your plans are for it but it looks like there is enough original paint left to preserve it pretty well. The molded Mesinger seats are notorious for bad foam, you can carefully remove the cover, re-foam the base and you're good to go...

Thank you for your
Awesome! Thank you for the info. I’m not sure what I plan to do with it yet. Was considering stripping it down cleaning it up nicely and trying to make it all original. I have pics of both the sticker on the frame and the plate on the motor housing I will post. Could you give me an idea of what year it is or any info they give?

Attachments

Some casual observations related to originality, not necessarily function:

*Gas tank was originally metal , is now newer plastic snow king style, good used original metal tanks go for $50 to $85
*Chain guard is missing , but is available from OldMiniBikes warehouse
*Foot pegs were originally front crossbar , but have been cutoff and replaced with a mid peg set up
*Don't see a clear pic of the "sprocket as disc" brake set up, so I don't know if its there
*Grips may not be original
*That muffler looks like an S pipe mated to a hot dog??
*Gotta straighten the high speed forks of course.

Its a really nice bike and doesn't appear to need much to be restored....or if it runs ,you can ride it as is. Nice find.

PS . I am correct that all six of the bikes in the top two rows in the ARCO ad that Tom posted side poppers?

Thank you for your help. I kinda figured the gas tank wasn't original. The chain guard I would like to replace so I'll see what I can find for that. Foot pegs I had no idea had been moved is that a common thing people do with these? The sprocket is still a disc brake set up and they work good. I would like to replace the exhaust pipe, What would a bike like this come from factory with or what would you recommend I replace it with? And the forks, I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be the way they are... Would you say they were bent that way? They kinda look factory but I've never never seen anything like them. Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Looks like the front fork damage may of happened when it was fairly new then it was probably just put away and stored for many years. Nice original find.

I was actually very curious about the forks. They are bent in a way that almost looks factory but I couldn't find anything else that looked like mine. Any idea of where I could find a new set of forks to replace these?

1971_MB1A

If it were mine I would just carefully bend them back cold to where they should be as if you heat or replace them you will never get the paint/patina etc to match the rest of the bike.

Thank you for your

Awesome! Thank you for the info. I’m not sure what I plan to do with it yet. Was considering stripping it down cleaning it up nicely and trying to make it all original. I have pics of both the sticker on the frame and the plate on the motor housing I will post. Could you give me an idea of what year it is or any info they give?
So the engine dates 1971 HS40 (4hp). That is the correct fuel tank for that engine as the metal tanks stopped in early-mid 1970 and silver Tec's were not in production that I know of. The brochure that @SimpleTom correctly ID's your bike, but it's an earlier production year to yours.
It's only original paint once but it's yours to do with as you wish. That Tecumseh will haul pretty good even with an adult on it!

1971_MB1A

So the engine dates 1971 HS40 (4hp). That is the correct fuel tank for that engine as the metal tanks stopped in early-mid 1970 and silver Tec's were not in production that I know of. The brochure that @SimpleTom correctly ID's your bike, but it's an earlier production year to yours.
It's only original paint once but it's yours to do with as you wish. That Tecumseh will haul pretty good even with an adult on it!
I have an all original unrestored arco metallic green chopper and the engine is silver on it.

markus

@DaddyJohn you are correct. Looking on my phone I couldn't see it was a later tank. Thanks for clearing that up!
Technically the tank on the engine is correct later model replacement for the original tank ;) That engine would have had a black poly 2 quart on it factory, that style changed a few times. till they eventually landed on the one seen on the bike with the big cap, center located. They were used an all small frame engines, not just snowblowers. And if you walked in to a supply/parts house in say the late 90's early 2000' (even today) and told them you needed a tank for your 1971 HS40 55335c That is the tank that they would hand you, or order.