Alsport MTS 30

I have an Alsport Trisport MTS-30. Does anyone know what the model number is on the Comet Torque converter? My trike is completely torn down for restoration. Im considering replacing the complete torque converter. Is there a certain brand, model or type torque converter that is superior or better than the original? I do know that over the years clutch and torque converter manufacturers can offer a higher performance or better built components that are so much better than the Origional 48 year old model of yesteryear. I just don't have that much involvement with these components and would like some advice from someone that knows the ins and outs on this. Thanks in advance

I believe you have to run a series 20 TC. Haven't worked on mine for a while and don't remember. I just know there was a space issue with the TC. Buy a comet, it will last forever.

Steve73

The origional tc is a Comet and ill definitely put another Comet on there. Thanks!
Comet Torque Converter Series:
  • Comet Torq-A-Verter System (Asymmetrical)
    Comet Torque-A-Verter is a complete kit that includes both drive and driven clutches, belt, snap on cover and mounting sprocket with a built in jackshaft and sprocket. Fits most Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Kohler and Tecumseh 3 to 6 horsepower engines with a horizontal shaft. Different models are available for either 3/4" or 1" engine bores and for either #35 or #40/41 drive chain.

• Comet 20 Series Torque Converter System (Symmetrical)
    Comet 20 series torque converter system is for 2 or 4 cycle engines up thru 8 hp. The model 20 uses a 3/4" top width symmetric belt. Drive clutches are available for both 3/4" and 1" bore (with 3/16-1/4 keyway). Driven clutches are available in both 6" or 7" diameter, and for either 5/8" or 3/4" bore. Comet 20 series is for application of low speed, added power requirements such as tractor mowers, off the road boonie bikes, four wheelers, go-karts, mini-bikes, etc. With the 6" driven clutch the low speed drive ratio is 2.68 and the high speed drive ratio is 1.15. With the 7" driven clutch the low speed drive ratio is 3.13 and the high speed drive ratio is 1.40.

• Comet 30 Series Torque Converter System (Asymmetrical)
    Comet 30 series torque converter system is for 2 or 4 cycle engines up thru 8 hp. The model 30 uses a 3/4" top width asymmetric belt. Drive clutches are available for both 3/4" and 1" bore (with 3/16-1/4 keyway). Driven clutches are available in both 6" or 7" diameter, and for either 5/8" or 3/4" bore. Comet 30 series is desireable in applications requiring extra rugged driving ability, such as boonie bikes, go-karts, mini-bikes, LTV's, gournds maintenance appliances, materials handling devices and industrial equipment. The model 30 is mounted with both stationary sheaves inboard. Therefore mounting can be on a flat, fixed plane, requiring only minimum displacement.

• Comet 340 Series Torque Converter System (Symmetrical)
    Comet 340 series torque converter system is for 2 or 4 cycle engines up thru 8 hp. Designed especially for jr dragster, go-karts and mini-bikes. Uses the same 3/4" top width belts as Comet's 20 series. Drive clutches come uncalibrated so roller kits and spring kits must be ordered seperate. Drive clutches are available for both 5/8" and 3/4" bore engines. The driven clutch is available with either a 5/8" or a 3/4" bore.

• Comet 40/44 Series Torque Converter System (Symmetrical)
    Comet 40/44 series is a mid range torque converter system for 8 to 18 hp applications. The model 40/44 series is designed for a lot of applications including the recreational vehicles such as the big three wheelers, ATV's, LTV's and the Economy Transportation Vehicles. Materials handling and other commercial uses like: oil well pumps, tractors, tillers, mowers, construction equipment, plus industrial equipment. Drive clutches are available for 3/4", 1", and 1-1/8" engine bores. Driven clutches are available with 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8" bore.

• Comet 500 Series Torque Converter System (Symmetrical)
    Comet 500 series torque converter system is based on the old salsbury clutches. It will handle up to 25hp 2 cycle engines and 16 hp 4 cycle engines. The drive clutch comes with either a 3/4" or a 1" bore. The driven clutch comes in either a 7-1/2" or a 8-1/2" diameter unit, the bore size can be either 3/4" or 1".

Steve! Thank you thank you. Had no clue bout'm. Now i know enuff 2b dangerous not 2mention expensive. Been searching them not knowing what I'm lookin for? I take it "Comet" is the preferred ones to hv?
I'm new 2the Mini Bike world, so i lurk these pages reading and researching... I've had 2go as far as to ban myself from "Craigslist" and tinker with what i have B4 adding 2the collection ...
So i continue the research... Tkx again 4the post.