Alsport RTS-340 dimensions

Just where is the rest of that trike ? Believe my there never was a 340 engine on that trike from the factory. Some one hacked off the back of the frame to put on a big motor and that is not a Tri-sport seat. The rear wheels look wider than stock and you might have to remove one to get it in the van. My street legal was just a tight squeeze to get into my ford E-150. Your trike frame is a smaller RTS version but just as wide at the rear track. The frame you are buying should look like the last picture posted.
Steve :scooter:

Like I said there are two sizes of RTS Tri-Sports the small frame came with 5 HP Briggs engines and a 8 HP Tecumseh and the MAC was the biggest engine on that frame a McCulloch 101D. The big frame machine came with Kohler 290cc and 340cc Twin cylinder snow mobile engines. The 1974 version of the Street Legal had all the lights and rear fenders and came with three engines the Kohler 290 & 340 and one with a big single cylinder Tecumseh 16 HP over head valve engine. All the bigger machines had hydraulic brakes and the small frame used ineffective band brakes.
Steve :scooter:

wjustice

I have an Alsport Dealers book that lists the RTS-Mac as 77" long, 52.5"wide and 165#.
Th RTS290/340's are 85" long, 52.5" wide and about 270#.

Just take the wheels and the front forks off and it will fit... Worry about the rest when you get it home. You are going to want to take it all apart anyway to do it right. Even if you just want to get it moving and running and leave it ugly I would suggest taking apart the rear differential and cleaning and regreasing it.... Randy

picked it up today. fit in pretty good had to tilt it a lil but it was fine... was a lil rougher than i expected but no worries. wish i could get it goine right away

should my rear axle go straight across? (it bows upward) i believe my shocks are shot which is probable but wondered how the rear end should sit with no engine on?
also im afraid to take the differential apart as ive never done that and dont know what to do
thanks yall:2guns:

should my rear axle go straight across? (it bows upward) i believe my shocks are shot which is probable but wondered how the rear end should sit with no engine on?
also im afraid to take the differential apart as ive never done that and dont know what to do
thanks yall:2guns:
Once you take it apart once. You will be an expert. It is very simple and easy to figure out.When in doubt take pics as you go along. Randy

wjustice

Its a bit hard to tell from your photos, which diff you have but it looks like a holton. I have an exploded view of a holton in my photos of my RTS. Go slow, it is spring loaded. The springs hold the gears to each side and will push the case apart as you loosen the bolts. Dont worry they wont go shooting across the room. :laugh:

Also, yes with no engine your frame should probably set with the axles pointing a bit down. After almost 40 years you would droop a bit too. Probably could use some new shocks. Check the bearings out first. You can go farther with bad shocks then if you lock a bearing. My frame seemed to roll ok but as I started checking, nearly every bearing was in terrible condition.

Last edited:
Its a bit hard to tell from your photos, which diff you have but it looks like a holton. I have an exploded view of a holton in my photos of my RTS. Go slow, it is spring loaded. The springs hold the gears to each side and will push the case apart as you loosen the bolts. Dont worry they wont go shooting across the room. :laugh:

Also, yes with no engine your frame should probably set with the axles pointing a bit down. After almost 40 years you would droop a bit too. Probably could use some new shocks. Check the bearings out first. You can go farther with bad shocks then if you lock a bearing. My frame seemed to roll ok but as I started checking, nearly every bearing was in terrible condition.
:laugh: i have had a bad time with my gokart projects this summer, tending to learn the expensive way... im a little hesitant to take apart something with gears in it that are spring loaded :\
also this projects probably gonna take me a while. as much as i wanna ride it i dont have the money to spend on it after getting a few projects this summer. plus id like to do as good a job as i can do... hoping to find someone who can sand blast it for me or let me use theirs
thanks ill look at your pic

heres some pics:
http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l632/Adam_Button/alsport mac/
and i know it might not be a mac but idk what it is :\

Last edited:
trike diff

i have a diff that i took to be chromed out and i got it back today but i think a piece might be missing can you tell me whats in the diff i have a picture of it