Alsport Tri sport

[/IMG]

I bought this tri sport new,and have had it nearly 40 years. Does anyone know how many of these were built? It never had a roll bar with it when I assembled it. Does anyone know where I can buy a roll bar for it?

wjustice

Ive never seen any production numbers. That looks like an AS engine to me, due to the coils and dual carbs. It says phase III but doesnt have the expansion chambers. Wider sided body, so I would say a 74 maybe. Ive been looking for a roll bar for a while and havent seen any. I have a set of chambers and they mount to the rollbar
edit:looking closer it does have chambers. Not the style in the ads but underslung type. Nice trike, nice survivor.

wjustice

The old up style pipes were loud! And they had a muffling shell, I bet yours is ear splitting.
The old paperwork listed the stock RTS as 28hp, with pipes 40-45 and the Phase III as 50+
Post some more pics if you can. I would like to see more of it.

The engine model no. is SK3402AS. I just about sold it 20 years ago and I'm glad I held on to it. I am just slowly learning this site so ill post some more pics. as I load them. I have a shop in town that said they could build me a roll bar. Does anyone have any real good pics. of a roll bar?

[/IMG]
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/1553/medium/photo-353.jpg[/img]
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/1553/medium/photo-315.jpg[/img]

I had the seat off for a while. the bottom needed to be recovered. I washed it and put it away for the winter and it started to mold.

Hello Trent : One of the biggest parts of the Phase III was the different torque converter I do knot know is the driven clutch was different that the standard one used on the RST 340
I sold two Tri-sports as parts to a member in Southern Illinois and in that 1200 pound crate were 2 sets of exhaust pipes and 1 after market set. And there was two roll bars and some kohler engines. One of the frames was a two tube main frame like they used on the Phase Three Racer. I sold that trike to Jack Harkey in 1973 and I sold his wife a Street Legal 340 in 1974. I bought the RTS and the Street legal back from him in 2002 and I found out that his engine was a 440CC Kohler with single carb.
I restored the Street legal did a lot of changes to it like 10 inch rear wheels and eventually went to 10 inch brake disc and dual piston calipers. I had new upholstery made in Blue & White & Silver added more lights front and back plus air horns and a lighted whip antenna.
I never sold any of the Phase III Racers. I did buy one RTS here in Portland that had a modify ed Kohler out of a snow mobile that had twin carbs and it had the expansion chambers and roll bar. That engine is the only one I ever seized up. That trike was in the big box that went to Illinois.
Yours looks super nice and all of us welcome you to the great OldMiniBikes forum and please sent more pictures of all parts of the trike like the bottom to show the frame and the brakes .
Even as a dealer I was on the west coast and only got any information from the local distributor so even after all the years there is information lacking.
Steve :scooter:

Hey Steve , Thanks for the info. I will take some better pics and post them. I rolled this trike when I was 18 years old. The welding broke on the tube up by the front wheel and the back right tire wrapped around the back and it flipped upside down. 11 stitches and a broken arm was the damage. I could not find a diff. so I had it wielded solid. A little harder to turn at slow speed now but it works.

Hi Trent ; Well that doesn't sound like that ride was much fun. Tri-Sport made some changes and gave out instructions of how to improve the connection of the Radius rods at each end. I don't think they hired the best welders back in the days. The Holtan differential was hard to find back then and almost imposable to find today.
Steve

james c

i have a holton rear end and complete front end with front brake. actually i have a whole roller. ill sell all the parts if anyone needs them. also have original plastic tank that goes under the rear hood and looks in good shape. i dont have a roll bar for sale