AlSports

An SL. Pretty complete too. Harley turn signal indicators on the front. They look like side marker lights, (like on a large truck), for the rear signal indicators. Probably put there to comply with state laws.

wjustice

Actually the turn signals look to be original except for the right rear. Front brake handle isn't original, they used Cherry brand. The missing rear brake light will be a hard find. Does the engine spin free?

Actually the turn signals look to be original except for the right rear. Front brake handle isn't original, they used Cherry brand. The missing rear brake light will be a hard find. Does the engine spin free?

You are probably right. But those front housing look very much like a set of Harley lights. Especially with the "forgotten in a field" corrosion going on with the pot metal.

motor turn free do you think you can get it to run

wjustice

motor turn free do you think you can get it to run
Me? Sure. Does it have any compression, spark? One of the biggest things with these engines is the crank. The way they are built, the carb has a straight shot into the crankcase. That said, if they are left outside, so does water. You have some heavy corrosion on the frame and engine. My expectation was it would have been locked up.

wjustice

That mileage is fairly common. Most didn't get run all that much. I do know of a few that had a few thousand miles on them. This is an old piston ported engine. If you take the carb and the manifold off I believe you'll be looking at the bottom of the piston skirts and maybe some of the top edge of the crank.

Cuda54

The screw is plugging the primer hole and it is fairly clean. Make sure you clean the points so you get good spark and use new plugs too. Put some mixed gas into the plug holes and roll it over by hand a few times to lube the cylinders. I would spray some oil on the crank seals too. That will help them seal when you start it up and the gas and oil will help loosen the rings so they will seal up.

wjustice

You only removed half of the manifold. The inside half will come off also. Pull the exhaust F pipe off and look there too. See if the piston is ok. Does it even have compression?

Cuda54

You need to get oil on the inside and outside of the crank seals. Or better yet replace the crank seals so you do not melt it down. And get some oil on the connecting rods too.

wjustice

Well, you have to pull the clutch to replace the PTO side. But its a bolt on plate, so once you get the clutch off it isnt too bad. The mag side is a bit harder, as the flywheel, point plate and entire fan housing has to come off. If you go that far, don't just oil, replace.