Alternative to pull start

I see remote starters very often at motorcycle races. Just an aluminum box with an automobile starter motor and a small 12v battery. It drives a 1/2" socket extension that engages a fitting on the end of the crankshaft. They are priced at several hundred dollars on the attached link. You have to scroll down quite a bit to find them.

Remote Starter

What are these guys using in the videos to start there bikes with a small battery? I googled 1/2" drive jumper box with no luck :(

Cheapie, (like me), way to do it. Pull the recoil and screen/cover. Underneath will be some type of ratchet that permits the recoil to operate. Get yourself one of these, a socket to fit the ratchet on the engine and a driver extension you can fit in a drill bit. I use a right angle drill as it offers better control. The universal ratchet is there so you don't break your wrist, when the engine starts. Many companies make the universal ratchet. They run from about $12 to over $25. 1628636572829.png

race

Since your post title is "Alternative to pull start" there is another alternative. A couple companies (Hegar and Fairbanks Morse) offered a kick start option, but I'm not sure which engines they will fit. Never tried one myself and haven't heard raves about them but you occasionally see one up for sale.

There was an old post on here where someone was going to attempt to make up a batch of them but don't know how that turned out.

Kik-Start Kick Starter Tecumseh  Minibike Vintage Hegar Products Condition Used$349.99 0 bids.jpg Fairbanks Morse Kwik Kick Starter 3.jpg Fairbanks Morse Kwik Kick Starter.jpg

capguncowboy

I did have intentions to make a bunch of kick starters until I got informed of how poorly they work and how they would crack the air shrouds and break off. Since they don't function very well and lack dependability I decided not to make them.
I can verify they crack the blower housings right along the top of the head. They also don't work real well to begin with

Stick a nickle in the clutch. Like half way. Just enough to meld the shoe with the drum. Simply push the bike and it'll start within a foot. It'll fall out after a bit and you wont have to worry about stalling on stop. Saved many a walk home after pull chord or spring broke.

Stick a nickle in the clutch. Like half way. Just enough to meld the shoe with the drum. Simply push the bike and it'll start within a foot. It'll fall out after a bit and you wont have to worry about stalling on stop. Saved many a walk home after pull chord or spring broke.
Never heard of that before, but it does kind of make sense.