Alternator and Wiring Help

Let me just start off with, I haven't worked on many B&S motors, mostly Tecumseh or clones.
Picked up a Heald Hauler with an electric start B&S 11hp. The wiring was all fubar, key switch was gone, horn button in it's place, wires to handlebar kill and start switch cut, etc. I was told the motor ran and then just quit, no spark.

Check the spark plug wire.
There was another wire coming from the points that went to the back of the throttle control that was disconnected.

Also the trigger wire to the coil was just twisted and hanging free.

And lastly the wire from the alternator had been cut, no diode, no regulator.

I found a pdf of B&S alternators that shows mine with either a regulated or tri-circuit set-up. Not sure how to post a pdf file or I would show you.

So to end this long post my questions are,
Does anybody know what that second wire from the points is for?
Does anybody know or used one of those alternator set-ups?

Any info would be appreciated, thx

The wire from the points to the throttle assembly is a kill switch wire. It grounds the points when the throttle is shut off. That is a common way of setting up industrial engines that utilize a slide throttle. Not so common on machines that use a twist throttle- if at all.

I haven't played with Briggs alternators, so can't help beyond that. If it was on an electric start (12VDC) machine, then the entire full wave rectifier (bridge) and voltage regulator are missing. If you have a link to a PDF, use the link icon above.

Looks like you need that 691188 regulator-rectifier. The yellow wire would connect to the black wire coming off of your alternator. The red wire would go to power the rest of the bike, and I assume, would also charge the battery. All of that would be routed through an ignition switch. You would need a lawn and garden supplier to get you the correct switch if you wanted to rig it so that "off" made a connection between your points and ground.

Note that this stuff is all easy to the lawn and garden tractor types. My electrical experience is in aircraft and automobiles, so I don't what switches are available.

Check out page 21 of this link for a switch part number and which terminals go to which part of the system. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/~/...gsAndStratton/PDFs/alternator_replacement.pdf

Dave that is an excellent Briggs & Stratton document. Interested to see how the Hauler is wired - any Heald for that matter, as I want one.

Heavygs here is a generic dual output wiring system with lights, but your stator has just one AC output, correct? I can edit this diagram to fit your engine, just making sure.

Jon

Attachments

Dave that is an excellent Briggs & Stratton document. Interested to see how the Hauler is wired - any Heald for that matter, as I want one.
Hi Jon! Great to see you here. It appears he's got the single AC wire coming out of the stator. No VR in your design. I think he's putting out some amps there. Also, he has a points engine. He might be better off getting a wiring harness out of an old tractor.

I don't know if his flywheel will accommodate a magnatron conversion. @Richard Trotter has some information on that.
Also @chatten63 took over the corporate knowledge of all things Heald I believe, and if anyone has documentation for schematics, etc. he would know. He is also the guy to ask about any of these machines being available.

Hi Jon! Great to see you here. It appears he's got the single AC wire coming out of the stator. No VR in your design. I think he's putting out some amps there. Also, he has a points engine. He might be better off getting a wiring harness out of an old tractor.

I don't know if his flywheel will accommodate a magnatron conversion. @Richard Trotter has some information on that.
Also @chatten63 took over the corporate knowledge of all things Heald I believe, and if anyone has documentation for schematics, etc. he would know. He is also the guy to ask about any of these machines being available.
I have wiring diagram for the bikes. Nothing for the haulers.

Thanks Dave! Good seeing you here as well. Wired a hauler for a farm a while back, but it was repowered and stripped of electrics. I love the 2 wheeled Heald bikes because I am six two and over 200 lbs. plus a big Briggs flathead is about my speed.

@chatten63 if there is a history of things Heald VT10 I hold a special interest in those.

Thank you all :)

Thx for the info guys

Dave- Nice link, saved that pdf for future reference.

Inventor- I'm with you, built a Super Bronc in the build-off a couple years ago. I'm probably going with the regulator set-up, says it will get me 5 amps. With the led lights that I plan on running that should be enough to keep the battery charged up. I made up my own wiring diagram for the Bronc, way over did it, think I'll just use a simple version of it.

Chatten- Thx for keeping these old Healds alive. Talked to Ron a few times, was sorry to hear he retired, lot of great info and stories.

this is what I found under the sheet metal and when I metered from the small wire to engin block it was grounded, thinking that might be why I blow ign fuse every time I try to crank it over. any help would be appreciated. Also any ireas on whear to get a new coil? Thank you 20210701_210639.jpg 20210701_210718.jpg