am I missing any next to free mods ?

I have a 5hp briggs on one of my gocarts and im wondering what are some more cheap mods i can do ? this is what is done : : intake&exhaust valves ported, 14" straight pipe with a bend, 3/4 full of oil, govern delete, cone intake, the tube that conects to the carb from the valve springs delete, aftermarket plug, tuned, and cleaned... am i missing any next to free mods ? :thumbsup:

I can tell you some things to make it rev higher but the stock con rod can not handle it and you will end up with no motor.In this case speed costs money.

OK, stupid question, the OP said he was running with oil 3/4 full. How does this increase power?

Am I missing something? The last 2 motors I have lost were both to oil starvation. These were both Kohlers that had oil pumps on the left side, all it took was traversing a hill that put that pump up high enough to run dry. That was years ago, but that was an expensive lesson learned. I always fill my oil, then tilt the motor at an angle so I can add just a bit more. Haven't lost an engine since (and I run 17-20 small air-cooled engines).

Am I killing my HP by overfilling? Heck, on some of my motors that have a low oil shut-off, I have to add a little extra, or they shut off if I am running them on a steep hill. :shrug:

C9H13NO3

the tube that conects to the carb from the valve springs delete,

STOP. Reconnect that tube NOW. It does nothing performance wise if you remove it/plug it, it actually will hurt performance.

If you don't want it hooked to the carb just get a small airfilter and a piece of hose, run a line from the breather plate to the small airfilter.

STOP. Reconnect that tube NOW. It does nothing performance wise if you remove it/plug it, it actually will hurt performance.

If you don't want it hooked to the carb just get a small airfilter and a piece of hose, run a line from the breather plate to the small airfilter.
How exactly could that hurt performance?

OK, stupid question, the OP said he was running with oil 3/4 full. How does this increase power?

Am I missing something? The last 2 motors I have lost were both to oil starvation. These were both Kohlers that had oil pumps on the left side, all it took was traversing a hill that put that pump up high enough to run dry. That was years ago, but that was an expensive lesson learned. I always fill my oil, then tilt the motor at an angle so I can add just a bit more. Haven't lost an engine since (and I run 17-20 small air-cooled engines).

Am I killing my HP by overfilling? Heck, on some of my motors that have a low oil shut-off, I have to add a little extra, or they shut off if I am running them on a steep hill. :shrug:

Well, its kinda just a street cart, it makes it rev faster because of less resistance.

Oldsalt

I have a 5hp briggs on one of my gocarts and im wondering what are some more cheap mods i can do ? this is what is done : : intake&exhaust valves ported, 14" straight pipe with a bend, 3/4 full of oil, govern delete, cone intake, the tube that conects to the carb from the valve springs delete, aftermarket plug, tuned, and cleaned... am i missing any next to free mods ? :thumbsup:
The absolutely cheapest horse power gain, and gain all across the board, is to increase the compression ratio. Mill the head. At stock RPMs the engine will really 'wake-up'. The pipe [if its length was the result of dyno testing] might give some gain [in a narrow RPM band not useable without a multi speed trans]. The cone intake can't possible do anything. If the stock plug fired the mixture on that stock block Briggs engine that is all the God can ask; no high buck/high zoot plug can do more.

It is NOT a good idea to disconnect the governor on the engine...unless of course you are in the final stages of a terminal illness and wish to end it all and have fun at the same time. Bumping the compression will deliver a significant HP gain without reving beyond what the engine components were designed for.

On some of my engines, I like to take the oil slinger and grind the two tabs about 2/3's of the way down. Supposedly it takes some stress off the dipper so it won't break as easily under higher rpm's. Also should save a little drag in theory. Cast dippers on what I think are rapor rods are pretty thin and straight, so I wouldn't worry about getting enough oil as long as you leave a little edge on there. I haven't had any problems with oil starvation on my engines. I like to keep the oil mostly filled up, but if you want less drag, you can run thinner oil. Some quarter midget racers I know used 0-20 and ran low oil without burning anything up.