Am I missing something from my Doherty Brake Lever?

I bought this Brake lever from this vendor. Links are posted below. Don't I need some kind of cable anchor or retainer that inserts directly into the lever assembly? Right where the conduit meets the lever? I have both parts I posted below. The step retainer is too big and I'm just not sure how to install the other one in the third link. If I need one do you know where to get it? My Doherty Brake Lever did not come with one for some reason. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Anderson Cyclery: Doherty #107P left<br>hand 1" levers

Replacement Adjuster for Professional Brake Lever - 1/4" Conduit - AZ2371

Cable Anchor (Tapered) - AZ2367

http://www.vinceandersononline.com/...ode=AC&Product_Code=DOH_ADJ&Category_Code=LEV

Last edited:
I bought this Brake lever from this vendor. Links are posted below. Don't I need some kind of cable anchor or retainer that inserts directly into the lever assembly? Right where the conduit meets the lever? I have both parts I posted below. The step retainer is too big and I'm just not sure how to install the other one in the third link. If I need one do you know where to get it? My Doherty Brake Lever did not come with one for some reason. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Anderson Cyclery: Doherty #107P left<br>hand 1" levers

Cable Anchor (Tapered) - AZ2367

Anderson Cyclery: Doherty lever cable<br>adjuster nut
If you wanted the adjuster on the lever you ordered the wrong lever. The lever you have needs to have some sort of adjustment on the end of the cable. The cable end fits in the lever you have.
If you bought that for your Bonanza it's the right one, the adjuster goes on the swing arm. You need to get the right peice that fits in the swing arm.

Last edited:
If you wanted the adjuster on the lever you ordered the wrong lever. The lever you have needs to have some sort of adjustment on the end of the cable. The cable end fits in the lever you have.
If you bought that for your Bonanza it's the right one, the adjuster goes on the swing arm. You need to get the right peice that fits in the swing arm.
Thanks, I get it now. Totally forgot about that retainer on the swing arm. However, when I tighten it down the retainer just eats up the conduit and it never tightens the cable. I had to cut the conduit down to fit the frame into the retainer on the swing arm so, there is no metal piece on the end of the conduit going into the retainer on the swing arm. Do they make that piece? If so, where do I get one. I can't find one at OldMiniBikes warehouse unless I'm just missing it. Thanks Ed.

Forgive my noobness, but, is this what I need to insert on to the end of the cut conduit that will insert into the brake retainer on the rear swing arm?

http://OldMiniBikes.com/Cable-Anchor-Tapered.html

Last edited:
This peice goes in the swing arm
You might have to go to a bicycle shop and get a smaller one. The nut screws all the way up to where the cable slides in then put it in the swing arm. now slide the cable through everything. I'll see if I can get a pic up tomorrow. Once the brake arm is hooked up then you can back that retainer away from the nut and that is how you adjust the cable.

This is right except you need to put the nut on the retainer and screw it all the way on. then put it in the retainer holder on the swing arm, then slide the cable through everything. To adjust it, hold the nut and turn the adjuster out.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/500/S5000266.JPG

Yours is to big, go to a bicycle shop and get a smaller one.
That photo is my bike you posted. Here is what I have now. This retainer and nut fits however, you can see it just eats the conduit up like I was saying and it doesn't tighten the cable on the brake arm. The brake works but takes me about 20 feet to stop. So it's not exactly functioning properly. I did paint the sprocket drum because it was so nasty. I wonder if the paint is not allowing the brake to grab properly. What paint that was on there should be burned off by now. I've used the brake a few times. It seems like I just need some type of hard end to slip over the conduit. Like the one that was originally on there that I trimmed off. Oops...forgot the photo.

Last edited:

george3

That photo is my bike you posted. Here is what I have now. This retainer and nut fits however, you can see it just eats the conduit up like I was saying and it doesn't tighten the cable on the brake arm. The brake works but takes me about 20 feet to stop. So it's not exactly functioning properly. I did paint the sprocket drum because it was so nasty. I wonder if the paint is not allowing the brake to grab properly. What paint that was on there should be burned off by now. I've used the brake a few times. It seems like I just need some type of hard end to slip over the conduit. Like the one that was originally on there that I trimmed off. Oops...forgot the photo.
dont use the slotted adjuster the cable looks like its catching on it. the adjuster is out way too far, your cable looks kinked, the cable housing is jacked up needs to be clean cut with heavy duty cutters. if cable is kinked you will have nothing but probs. you can streighten it with neddle nose pliers but will never be as good as new. Is your cable adjuster head bigger than the cable end? did you smash the cable adjuster part to put it in a smaller hole? if so that wont work. get the correct non slotted cable adjuster that fits in the hole and fits the cable housing after it is re cut clean, you micky mouse this stuff, your results will suck.

dont use the slotted adjuster the cable looks like its catching on it. the adjuster is out way too far, your cable looks kinked, the cable housing is jacked up needs to be clean cut with heavy duty cutters. if cable is kinked you will have nothing but probs. you can streighten it with neddle nose pliers but will never be as good as new. Is your cable adjuster head bigger than the cable end? did you smash the cable adjuster part to put it in a smaller hole? if so that wont work. get the correct non slotted cable adjuster that fits in the hole and fits the cable housing after it is re cut clean, you micky mouse this stuff, your results will suck.
Thanks George much appreciated. I hate cutting corners in whatever I do. This is why I turn to you guys when things just aint looking right.

Is that cable clamp in the pic holding your brake cable ? If it is get rid of it, it's putting your cable in a bind.
Number one failure of cables not working right are to many clamps holding the cable in the wrong spot. Cables with tight bends don't work well.

Last edited: