Am I missing something here?

The cam would have to be driven by a timing chain to keep rotation proper, it would still run 1/2 engine rpm tho.........Any Kohler experts in here?......:shrug:.......Tom.

kohler makes engines for cement mixers and mortar, single bag (90) lbs, looks to be one of those, 3-1 if I remember right. Parts down here are a little bit of a problem, but they run pretty good.

jeep4me

Honda made similar motors for certain 2-stage snowblowers, the crank was offset in order to fit the application. I'm not sure if there is a reduction though. If there is in this one, I doubt it would engage the clutch properly.

Honda made similar motors for certain 2-stage snowblowers, the crank was offset in order to fit the application. I'm not sure if there is a reduction though. If there is in this one, I doubt it would engage the clutch properly.
So you're saying that they had a 3/4 shaft coming out of the block in a different location than the crankshaft on those Honda engines? Built into the engine block? Because the one on this bike doesn't have anything that looks like those bolt on gear reductions.

Not exactly sure what the kohler is but this Honda crank case cove is manufactured for this gear reduction engine. It is not a bolt on addition.

View attachment 53339
View attachment 53340
View attachment 53341
Yea, but you can clearly see that the Honda still uses the normal crankshaft (most likely splined) sticking out of the block to drive the gear reduction. The crankshaft on the Kohler isn't there at all. You can see the four mounting holes located around where the crankshaft would be sticking out.

This had me busting my nut aswell. These are the best I can find, its for a Briggs and not sure if its bolt on or if the engine comes out like this. It has the 2:1 reduction with the standard mounting holes. I assume theres a bearing in the back of the side cover and the reason the mounting holes are there is for whatever machine it came out of or accesories.

This had me busting my nut aswell. These are the best I can find, its for a Briggs and not sure if its bolt on or if the engine comes out like this. It has the 2:1 reduction with the standard mounting holes. I assume theres a bearing in the back of the side cover and the reason the mounting holes are there is for whatever machine it came out of or accesories.

That would explain it. Never seen one like it myself.

Rob, I was wondering the same thing about the internal drive system and direction.

rmm727