Am I missing something?

tex-41

Ok, so I'm new here, trying to get a feel for the community. Could someone clarify the base of members here? I'm really into Honda Z50's, but it seems like they're frowned upon here? :shrug: I'll be honest.... I had never heard of a Rupp, Taco, or Azusa mini bike until about a week ago :censure:
So... am I in the minority here? Just trying to get a feel for what most of the members here are into, so's I'm not the weird guy talkin about a bike nobody likes. Honest answers please, I don't need to hear "go with what you like".
If only one guy on the baseball team likes to twirl ribbons... well.... he's not going to play baseball :wink: and I hate ribbons :laugh: It's late and my brain's not working :eek:ut:

Pictures or descriptions or even a list would be sweet :thumbsup:

Which bikes are getting the most attention?

JTG

Some people like to label the entry level Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's etc. as "mini cycles or scooters" rather than mini bikes. And some blame the demise of the mini bike on those same models. So they're not as popular here as the Flexo's, Taco's, Bonanza's, Powells etc.

And some blame the demise of the mini bike on those same models. So they're not as popular here as the Flexo's, Taco's, Bonanza's, Powells etc.
Darned OHV's! :hammer: I remember riding a friend's Bonanza one day, and another friend's brand new Honda 50 mini trail the next. The difference was astounding, and suddenly no one wanted a mini bike any more.

tex-41

:thumbsup: think i'm catching on, thanks guys. i just want to be a part of the community, and want to go about it the right way. Like a guy showing up to a Chevy meet with a Ford t-shirt rockin a beat up Mustang... I don't want to be THAT guy lol :eek:

welcome here! Noone really likes the z50,s here because they were the flathead killers. And lets face it they are kind of expencive these days. There use to be a good web site lil honda or minitrail.com? dont know if its still around? I love z50s and have a bunch of them!

I know lots of people that like them it's just that they are kind of an orange in the apple basket here. I have good memories of them and trail 70s along with several Japanese full size bikes and quads, I like them all for what they are, but none of them are my old ARCO with the tiller motor that all but refuses to shut off when I'm done riding it.

Mini bikes. - Mini Cycles

Hey Tex-41, there's seems to be an age old, well as old as the site anyway, conflict of Minibikes vs minicycles. I actually started a thread a couple of days ago called "suggestion". There are some interesting comments on there how different members see mini bikes and mini cycles. As written in your thread, many people see the minicycle as the beginning of the end for the original "MiniBike". Maybe it was, but my feeling is the minicycle came about as the next phase of the MiniBike. I grew up with both, home builds, Powells, and relatives with Hondas, ( rich relatives). I like them all, as I am learning many members do. Just buy, restore, and play with what you like. There are a bunch of a great guys here, they'll take you in. Heck, try talk to me.

Jesse

old-timer

Scamming Member
Nothing wrong with the Honda's, and in fact many members here own them as well :thumbsup:

But OldMiniBikes is geared more to the vintage/ old school mini bikes that typically ran the flat head Briggs or Tecumseh motors. However there are still many threads on here where you can talk Honda with many other members who also own them :wink:

Hi my name is Rob I am an OldMiniBikes member , but I have a dirty little secret!!!

I freaking love Honda minibikes and minicycles , I also have a Kawasucki too lol
I would love to own a Suckzuki trailhopper and a Yamajunk champ to complete my jap bike collection
To me they are memories from my youth as well as the many many manufacturers of pullstart bikes
What I dont like are pocket bikes being called mini's and the newer (1980's and up small motocross/dirtbikes) basicly if its old its cool lol

1stlegendtx

Hi my name is Rob I am an OldMiniBikes member , but I have a dirty little secret!!!

I freaking love Honda minibikes and minicycles , I also have a Kawasucki too lol
I would love to own a Suckzuki trailhopper and a Yamajunk champ to complete my jap bike collection
To me they are memories from my youth as well as the many many manufacturers of pullstart bikes
What I dont like are pocket bikes being called mini's and the newer (1980's and up small motocross/dirtbikes) basicly if its old its cool lol
I have all that stuff.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the warm welcome and understanding guys :thumbsup: I was thinking about it, and it makes sense that I like Z50's. My very first ride on anything motorized was an old Z50 my neighborhood friend had when we were about 10. I'm only 27, so as I stated in my first post, I had never even HEARD of Taco or any other old school bikes. I didn't realize that Z50's and the like sort of killed the mini bike era. I've been doing some reading and frankly, it's sad :sad: It actually gave me an idea for a presentation I'm working on for school.

With all that said, I..... freaking..... love... the old school mini bikes!! I had seen variations of them over the years, but I never realized they were so popular. I always thought they were strictly home builts, and wasn't too interested. But they were before my time, so to speak, so they're not what I grew up with. But the 60's and 70's are by far my favorite eras overall :thumbsup::thumbsup: Music, culture, and history were so alive back then.

So anyway, to wrap up a looong post, I "might" still jump on this Z50 I'm looking at, for a restore. But either way, I'm really looking to find a Taco, either a restore or a complete home built :thumbsup: I'm reading and doing my homework like a madman :detective: