"American Muscle" ruppster's vintage Bonanza 1300 build

He states it in his very first post of this thread.:doah: It is a 1973 Briggs 5 HP. He is using Jimmy Glenn's excellent book:thumbsup: entitled "Building a Race Ready 5HP Briggs" as a guideline. The (realistic) goal is to obtain 10+ HP and 6,500+ RPM:devil2:
Michael

Last edited:

matt2

Hi Michael
The Bonanza looks great. I like your tires:thumbsup:.Can you tell me where you got you rear axle adjuster bolts?Keep having fun and keep showing us new pictures. Hey Michael I have not got my axles yet can you tell me how long yours are? Yours look good and seem to fit right. Thanks for any help. I know 5/8 but how long?:shrug:

Hello Matt,
You were kind enough to reply to my question to you (thank you), so here you go....
Rear wheel adjuster bolts; You will want to purchase machine-threaded 5/16" "Eye" bolts. They are available everywhere (e.g., Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) HOWEVER... nearly everywhere I went (Including those stores) the circular "eye" was either (way to) big or (way to) small for the 5/8" axle bolt it will be used on.:doah: To work effective it has to fit very close. I eventually found them at "Ace" hardware stores, however, there is another catch....
Only the ones that come on the turnbuckles will work,:doah: and even with those you have to very slightly drill/ream them out to 5/8":grind:
Axle bolts: You need 5/8" X 8" (for both front and rear) if you are using the low-profile nylock nut. (which we did)If you prefer to use the full size nut you will need 5/8" X 8 1/2"
Hope that this helps:scooter:

matt2

Thank you very much. Thanks for doing all the leg work. I will go to ace just down the road from my house. I will be ready to resize them.The axle info was perfect, I like the set up you guys used. You guys keep up the good work.:grind:

george3

They are original N O S General brand tires,5.30/4.50-6. These came stock on your bike. They were stored coated in wax they are like new. Check ebay, he is up off and on. Enter this number on ebay #110759915093. Two tires two tubes about 54.00 including shipping.

helpers Buddy and Karma kitty.
these tires are either re pops or made at a much later date. the side walls are much different than the General Jumbo Jrs.

george3

Thank you very much. Thanks for doing all the leg work. I will go to ace just down the road from my house. I will be ready to resize them.The axle info was perfect, I like the set up you guys used. You guys keep up the good work.:grind:
on the turn buckles you will have to buy two of them because one eye bolt is left hand thread and one right hand thread, but you will like the finish results.

george3 is correct:thumbsup: about the left hand thread on one of the turnbuckle eyebolts!!:shrug: I did not realize that when I originally bought the turnbuckle and ended up driving all over La Mirada, Norwalk, and (finally) to Paramount to find an "Ace" Hardware store that had some to buy another.:eek:ut: I'm sure that The Ruppster and george3 wondered why I was gone for so long. Yes, as george3 stated, the end result looks very nice/original.:smile:
Michael

Last edited:
Hello George,
Thank you for noticing (and asking)! :smile:As The Ruppster is busy doing homework with the limited time he has these days, I'll provide a quick answer for now...
The only additional work Jeff completed since the last update/photos was the installation of a VERY nice seat that he got from Kenny. I'll let Jeff post a current photo with the seat installed- it REALLY looks good!:thumbsup:
Jeff plays high school baseball. (That's him pitching during an actual game this year in my NEW avatar picture). Since February, he does not get home until about 6:30 pm, as there is always either a game or practice, which makes for a L-O-N-G day with very little free time right now. As you already know, he is funding this Bonanza build project entirely himself, with the $$$ he earns restoring, refurbishing and (eventually) selling engines. The time he has for engine work (and sales) right now is limited, so his funds for the build have been reduced (temporarily) as well. He has Easter break coming up at school soon so he'll have more time for some engine work coming up.:scooter:
Regards,
Michael