An exciting new competitor to the ever growing 212 market

Daniel Coop

BEHOLD... The new Tillotson mechanical fuel injected 212/clone.

Available now through Go Power Sports...
Tillotson 212cc Engine with TCT, Mechanical Fuel Injection - GoPowerSports.com
Not finding much stats on the engine's internals as of yet, but the real excitement might just be the new Tillotson TF-2A-6U mechanical fuel injection carb
which is also available for sale separately. I couldn't resist, and have the carb on the way.
Tillotson TCT Mechanical Fuel Injection ( Carburetor Replacement) - GoPowerSports.com
You're welcome guys... Lol

It's not a fuel injection system in modern terms. However if someone was able to take advantage of claims of non-linear fuel delivery, it might make N0S on a mini bike actually viable. The numbers I looked at didn't bear that out however.

I don't get the AFR setting. AFR means nothing unless you know what the AFR actually is, and then have a means to dynamically control it, and then verify it, IE o2 sensor and gauge.

I hope it does more than it's claims of increasing fuel economy, or decreasing emissions. Here are several manuals on it. I could not get the AFR video to load. Resources - Tillotson

It would be cool to see something innovative, but I'd be surprised if this is it. LOL, first of all, it doesn't cost enough.

Daniel Coop

They claim increased performance and power in the lower and upper RPM range through "enhanced" atomization and accelerated fuel flow as well as better fuel economy and cleaner emissions. They claim a substantial upgrade in performance with a boost in acceleration and HP... TF-2A-6U - Tillotson Not to mention, the built in dual fuel capability (gas and propane) is pretty cool. l'm just wondering how big the actual bore is...

Last edited:
Give us a report after you've hooked the carb up & ran it. What carb are you running currently, so we'll know your basis for comparison?

Daniel Coop

Give us a report after you've hooked the carb up & ran it. What carb are you running currently, so we'll know your basis for comparison?
I will be trying it on a newer build... My black DB with it's built Hemi Predator. It's got an .020 over ARC billet connecting rod on the stock flat top piston with a Dyno Cams CS grind cheater cam and I have recently swapped the stock Hemi head for a milled (.065) and ported larger valve clone head (27 & 25mm valves) with Champion rockers and 22lb springs. I will be comparing it to one of my custom bored (6.75 bore) RuiXing carbs, so I am definitely counting on and comparing performance. It will definitely have it's work cut out for itself.

SAS289

They claim increased performance and power in the lower and upper RPM range through "enhanced" atomization and accelerated fuel flow as well as better fuel economy and cleaner emissions. They claim a substantial upgrade in performance with a boost in acceleration and HP... TF-2A-6U - Tillotson Not to mention, the built in dual fuel capability (gas and propane) is pretty cool. l'm just wondering how big the actual bore is...
I don't think that's a dual fuel carb. You would still need a conversion kit just like you would for any other carb on these small engines.

This is about as close as you could get to a dual fuel carb. https://www.ebay.com/itm/170F-TONCO-Dual-fuel-carburetor-GX200-LPG-conversion-kit-for-generator-propane/162116060273?hash=item25bedec471:g:5I8AAOSwe7BWzBga

These work very well on small generators and run on gasoline, propane, or NG. Should be called tri fuel.

EDIT.... Maybe they are doing something I'm not aware of. After looking at one of the carb photos it looks like there are 2 fuel inlets. (???)

Last edited:
As a general rule I do not equate (or even care about) the "better fuel economy and cleaner emissions" they are marketing with PERFORMANCE.
Michael

I don't see any fuel "injection" going on but it does adjust the fuel needle to roughly mimic throttle slide carbs like a Mikuni. Still, my feelings are leaning to throttle slide carbs for precise A/F control.

SAS289

They are probably using a fuel pump type of setup that uses the crank vent pulse for the shot of fuel. How else would it "inject" anything?

Daniel Coop

Now that fuel spray looks more like an injector than jets...
Thanks for the video Raskin. Very curious to play with it when it shows up.

Daniel Coop

At my doorstep this afternoon...

So after taking a few minutes to figure out how the choke lever mounted, my initial impression was that although it's bore seems a little smallish for my needs, the Tillotson TCT appears to be well made and I'm still anxious to try it out...

So after taking a few minutes to figure out how the choke lever mounted, my initial impression was that although it's bore seems a little smallish for my needs, the Tillotson TCT appears to be well made and I'm still anxious to try it out...
Well, I'm one of those who thinks it's limited to being a good stock replacement carburetor. Still, after you test it on it's intended engine/test bed, it might be good to test it on a bone stock engine, then on an engine with minor modification, etc. You know, see if you can find a niche where it fits as a viable replacement. Tiny throat and venturi it looks like. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Well, I'm one of those who thinks it's limited to being a good stock replacement carburetor. Still, after you test it on it's intended engine/test bed, it might be good to test it on a bone stock engine, then on an engine with minor modification, etc. You know, see if you can find a niche where it fits as a viable replacement. Tiny throat and venturi it looks like. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
Agreed. I maybe wrong but this unit is dependent on that small venturi. It appears port signal and flow might be critical. It might be interesting to see its internals and any optinal jets offered?

SAS289

That was my initial thought. Looks like a good replacement carb to put on a small generator or wood splitter. But how will it work on something that you don't just start up and run at 3600 RPM?

Yeah. I would want to test on a stock engine first then go from there. First question would be how does it run with the stock air box versus an open filter, and so on.

Aren’t fuel injection and carburetor mutually exclusive terms? I was pretty familiar with mechanical due injection m the ‘60s, and this does not remotely resemble mechanical fuel injection as I understand the term.

That said, I do hope there’s something innovative here.

Daniel Coop

Their claims from a couple of the web addresses previously listed;
"This is a direct replacement for your Predator or any Honda clone carburetor. Under load the fuel injection is amazing, it just keeps on pulling. No more changing jets, this system allows you to adjust fuel mixture without changing jets ( manual adjustment)."
"For a boost in acceleration and horsepower, it can also be used on open class Honda GX160 and GX200 and Chinese “clone” racing engines where rules permit use of any carburetor"
I have no "stock" engines to test this out on so I will try it on my freebie 5 bolt Grayhound clone that I just about got back together. It's the mildest motor currently in my arsenal. It barely had any hours on it, so I stripped it of it's fun sucking garbage, added a BSP3 cam in the otherwise stock bottom end, along with a PVL aluminum flywheel for safety's​ sake.
The head has been shipped out for a .070 mill but otherwise will remain stock outside of some 18lb springs. Should be a decent enough candidate for some baseline testing versus a stock re-jetted carb. If it works well on that one, I will try it VS a big bore carburetor on one of my larger valve ported head motors to see if it can keep up.

Last edited: