Animal

Has anyone crunched some numbers and compared building up a clone as opposed to buying the $500.00 animal that is out there? (ie: w/ the 206 option) Is the animal more engine out of the box than the purchase of a clone then adding the comparable parts? Here in Minnesota the best I have seen the HF clone and paid for on sale was $129.99. I have not done the complete research on this so please excuse my,:doah:

Ooops, looks like mdb and I were posting at the same time. Additionally, you can get them for under $500 these days. Many times around $400.

That is a pretty good deal, it already has the billet parts, as well as a cam, piston, carb, and a few other things. I'd buy it if i didnt already have too many engines. Haha

What is the deal with the small cables that are used as a seal for the side cover to the block?
Does the factory not want you to do any internal mods? There is not a warrantee on these motors.

Found a HP graph, looks like 8hp.

You DONT want a LO206. They are made for spec racing and have a coil that wont allow them over 6100rpm. Those cable things are seals to keep people from cheating. You are paying extra for nothing that a stock animal can not give you.

You want a clone. If you aren't trying to hit 20hp then the Animal really doesn't offer you anything but a higher price tag. Both engines will hold up great. Animal parts and machining are more expensive in general because now the clone stuff has flooded the market. Out of the box the animal makes about 8-9hp on gas. Clone 6.5hp. Add an air filter, un govern, re-jet, and a header and the clone will make the same for about $75 in parts. You can also add a cam, carb, and some head work and be around 11hp still well under $500.

What is the deal with the small cables that are used as a seal for the side cover to the block?
Does the factory not want you to do any internal mods? There is not a warrantee on these motors.

Found a HP graph, looks like 8hp.
That's exactly it. They are used in kart racing and have a factory seal on them so nobody can mod the internal parts, and gain an unfair advantage.

Guys,
Thank you for the feedback. Hemiram03, your point is well takin. I do have a clone and your right on with the basic add on parts as far as the cost. Ordered those parts just on Friday, will be looking into a pipe today.

You mention a stock animal, is that a engine a step down from the L06?

When I discovered the animal was made in the USA:thumbsup: I was excited and thought it might be cool for the next project.

Thanks again.

the animal is not a step down from the lo206 is a spec race engine. but for 500 you can build a nice clone with the right parts and will make more power for the price. but the animal is a better engine, after all it is made specificaly for racing. the 206 is what they call an animal intek and i believe it is bearing on the pto only. just my 2cent's good luck:)

125ccCrazy

you can get an I/C intek with dual bearings and put any animal or WF parts in it....The animal is a better built engine than a clone....I a better comparison would be an Animal to a real Honda gx200....

125cc
Being from the days of flat head engines only these OHV and some of the terminology
is new.
What is a I/C intek?:shrug: I like the animal, maybe its because its a briggs or that its made in the US. Just have to figure out which model. Thanks for the input.