another 10" spoke wheel query

markus

Seems like every bike I pick up is a spoke wheeled bike lately....

Trying to get a budget and plan together for the Indian mt5a, parts are scarce for these things unfortunately. It has 10" 28 spoke wheels. I have 2 sets of 28 spoke wheels Both NOS But they are both wider than what is on the mt5a :doah: Worst case I can probably fit them, but it may be noticeable as this bike is small and skinny.

Digging around I see alot of these CRF50 "pit bike" style bikes are using 28 spoke 10" and they also use the same sized 2.50x10 tire that the mt5a has on it. so I am wondering if maybe the wheel bands are skinnier than the common size used on the vintage mini bikes.

so if any of you guys maybe have one of these "pit bikes" (or anything with 10" 28 spoke) in your collection could you do a rough measurement of the width of the rim???? I'm looking for something in the 2 1/4" range, the common width I'm coming up with on the vintage spoke wheels are around 2 5/8" I know that does not seem like much but if I put one of those wheels next to the Indians wheel its very noticeable!!! If I can find a wheel with skinny band I'll just rip the spokes and hub off and restring my originals in.

Found this pic online of one of these bikes all put together, little kid kinda helps put the bikes size into perspective:

markus

relace them both with the fatter chrome ring. too wide for the bike?
Thats what I am trying to avoid as I am afraid it will be too out of place, Hence asking here on the forum to measure the wheel bands if you got em' :smile: Maybe I can find another wheel with the skinny band, hub/spokes do not matter as I'll just use mine.

Markus, I've been on the hunt for your info on your latest bike. What year was it again? 1974? I went through Dad's stuff and can't find anything. I did scan a ton of Indian Ads I can send them to you. Maybe it's stuff you have, I don't know. I did not upload them to OldMiniBikes yet. But I have them here on my PC.
That photo is great:smile:
I should be beat. I had a chance for a mini-mini about 25 miles from my house and let it go. I was at the guys house picking up another bike. In retrospect I really wish I would have bought it, but O-well.
It was I guess 2 years ago, now. But the more I look at them the more I like them. I'm still stuck on the 6" rule. But I shouldn't be I guess? My first bike was a Honda 50 when I was 8. I sure as hell didn't care or know then. LOL
Randy

I would just get them re-chromed! It would be the best way to keep the correct size rim. Those look like there in decent shape just that crappy chrome they used back then wasn't any good. I got a price on re-chroming a set of 10"- 24 spoke Rupp rims here in Toledo and they told me about a 100 bucks for the 2 of them in show chrome. If your just redoing it for a rider then you could paint or have the rims powder coated in silver if re-chrome is out of the budget.

markus

Markus, I've been on the hunt for your info on your latest bike. What year was it again? 1974? I went through Dad's stuff and can't find anything. I did scan a ton of Indian Ads I can send them to you. Maybe it's stuff you have, I don't know. I did not upload them to OldMiniBikes yet. But I have them here on my PC.
That photo is great:smile:
I should be beat. I had a chance for a mini-mini about 25 miles from my house and let it go. I was at the guys house picking up another bike. In retrospect I really wish I would have bought it, but O-well.
It was I guess 2 years ago, now. But the more I look at them the more I like them. I'm still stuck on the 6" rule. But I shouldn't be I guess? My first bike was a Honda 50 when I was 8. I sure as hell didn't care or know then. LOL
Randy
I think that its a '73-74?? I'm really not sure, I can't find any real info on them anywhere. I have only seen one stock indian photo:

The bike came in pieces, I was a little worried there were some redneck mods done, but actually It looks like I do have a complete correct bike, its just going to need total refurbishment. alot of the suspension is crossing with the mini mini, unfortunatly they are hard to get parts for too!

markus

jmb, yea I have been perusing his inventory a bit. I did send an email a couple of weeks back but did not get a reply. Buddy actually just won some Rupp items off me on ebay. I was going to send a note in with the package but I was in a hurry to get them shipped out and it slipped my mind. That stock photo is actually thanks to indiandirtbikeparts page.

I have been holding off ordering parts for these bikes as I was waiting to get a something with part #'s. I finally found a 1972 parts breakdown book and assy procedures for the mini mini ( I was waiting for an original book not a copy) so that should help me out a little. I'll be placing an order with him soon maybe when I do that I can pick his brain a little on the mt5a :smile:

Cool, I'm glad you knew about him already and hope he can help you a little. Also was it you by any chance that sold me a chain guard recently on ebay for a Rupp. If so, I just sent it out to have it rechromed by a family member who runs a plating company. It should comeback soon looking better than new.

markus

Might have been me, I sold 3 Rupp chainguards on ebay in the past few weeks.

Does your family member do only local plating? I'm going to have break down and have stuff plated for these 2 bikes (the indians) at the very least the fork uppers, and probably the wheel bands too. Not looking for a deal (allthough thats always nice) just honest :smile:

Markus, He does big Government Jobs. They don't do for the public. Sorry! He does my stuff for favors and not on a time base. But if this will help your upper forks need to be hard chrome and the wheel bands need to be decorative chrome. Two different kinds of chroming.

markus

Markus, He does big Government Jobs. They don't do for the public. Sorry! He does my stuff for favors and not on a time base. But if this will help your upper forks need to be hard chrome and the wheel bands need to be decorative chrome. Two different kinds of chroming.
So our tax dollars are a hard at work chroming your mini bike parts? You lucky dog!!!:thumbsup:

It is the only way to get a tax return on my money because when I pay in more they can keep plating their parts and mine also. I never see that money ever again. LOL