Another HS40 finished!

markus

Just got this one all done and buttoned up. Its been sitting around on my bench with another custom H35 as pretty much a shortblock for a few months so I am glad to get it done (and hopefully keep some momentum going and get the other Half finished ones farther along!)

I had planned to make a black 1970/71 originally but there seems to be more of an interest in the white ones right now so I went with a mid 1971 setup/tag with taylor muffler style.

Heres the internals after work to the block was done and ready for set up:

IMG_0855.JPG

This one got:
Honed (super clean block/bore to begin with)
all mating surfaces trued
Brand new valves cut and installed and set on the low side of the for the gaps
new springs/retainers, etc.. as well
Oversize rings custom fitted to bring the gaps down to the low side of Tecumseh standards-HS40's and H50's (have the same bore) have notoriously wide gaps-even factory fresh new engines so OS rings are usually needed even if the bore is nice
New rod
Governor system refreshed with good in spec parts to take the wobbly and slop out.
crankshaft and camshaft journals and bore in block for same all dressed/rough polished for oil retention and checked to be in spec.
all new seals and gaskets.

Magneto/ignition was fully gone through as well. I installed a refurbished stator plate with genuine Tecumseh coil and points/condenser, good timing cam, re-energized wiper for the cam (the may show up sideways, sorry) :

IMG_1217.JPG

Carb is a correct HS40 size original carb, with the correct choke lever specific for header style mufflers that created and in use right around 1971. It got a full clean, inside and out, internal bore was deburred, throttle and choke shafts slightly modded of any obstructions, throttle shaft was also updated and modded to go full open and I installed and modified the carb body to accept an OEM foam seal and washer on the top so it will stay leak free and can be oiled. NOS Tecumseh rebuild and Float installed, correct OEM Tecumseh fuel line and clips installed along with steel 90 degree fitting used as well. Forgot to take pics of it apart or in raw finish so you get a preview of the finished product:

IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1382.JPG

All tins gone over after media blasting, Recoil fully disassembled, all the crud blasted and cleaned off the inside, internals all serviced along with new correct sized pulled rope set to proper length. Original hardware for the era was used with all the right stamping, Correct mid 1971-74 non serviceable bellcrank throttle mechanism and front mounted remote kill wire style cylinder tin used. Engine was run an tested, then cleaned again and ready for paint.

IMAG0623.jpg

Paint used was Nason Ful-Thane 2k, a single stage gloss urethane, It provides a hard, fuel and oil proof finish. Decals are the water slide correct reproduction for the year and version of the engine. Muffler is a the Taylor spark arrestor in chrome, center fill fuel tank, NOS fuel cap, and one of my repopped card tags that came with the engines when they were new.

IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG

markus

Thanks everyone! Getting really tough and expensive to scrounge up the little odds and ends to try and get these back together anymore, I gotta get on ebay and start sniffing around for some little parts I ran out of when I was getting this one done.

Karen, I think he is looking for an H35 if I am not mistaken. Not sure how I am going to offer this one just yet. I am trying to go through my record this afternoon looking for what I have paid for the parts used on this one, the cost of the chrome muffler is gonna sting a bit from what I recall!

WOW! Sure looks pretty!

I bet it runs, as good as it looks.

Question, are those steel sleeved? I'm thinking no.

So, what is the hone procedure.
Back in my early days as a Chevy tech we had to bore and hone Vega all-alloy blocks. Part of the hone was felt pads to raise the silicone to the surface. This was in a dealership, so it was mid-evil grunts doing the least amount possible.

markus

WOW! Sure looks pretty!

I bet it runs, as good as it looks.

Question, are those steel sleeved? I'm thinking no.

So, what is the hone procedure.
Back in my early days as a Chevy tech we had to bore and hone Vega all-alloy blocks. Part of the hone was felt pads to raise the silicone to the surface. This was in a dealership, so it was mid-evil grunts doing the least amount possible.
Thank you, Its running very well, starts easy and ramps up strong. This one is the aluminum bore, There was a steel sleeved HS40 block available in the later years, but only in a couple of specific models (nothing mini bike) so they are not easy to find.

I use standard flex-hones on these.....very sparingly

My motors run pretty good now but they don’t look great. I’m ok with that though as i don’t have any museum pieces
But members here turn out unbelievable engines I’m not worthy lol

Amazing how smooth it Idle's. Revs up nice, and does not dance around due to vibration.

Do you balance them? I know it's complicated, and single pistons are the hardest to dial in weight.

old shed finds

I'm kinda bummed as buying a clean 610 Tote Gote yesterday a hour drive a Snowblower with a slant shroud 4hp showed up on classified adds today same hour away town. .someone beat me to it...... I will keep looking I want a clean Tecumseh too.....