Another Lil Indian

I acquired this frame a couple of weeks ago and I have narrowed it down to being a 1969 or later Tec frame but I'm still not sure of the exact model. I know you guys are the experts so here goes.

Ok..the biggest problem in identifying your model is the fact the motor is gone. We know it was a Tecumseh..but which HP? Which brake caliper did it have? etc etc? There are a few unknown variables that prevent a 100% clear model identification. The one in my pic was a "kit bike"....so no real model number can be given. I know this really doesn't help your current issue...but maybe it might help you to understand why nobody has come up with the model yet.
But if I had to guess..model 450
like this one..
568.JPG

Last edited:
That makes since but I was under the impression that they only came with one style of caliper.
sorry about the picture orientation plus the mounting holes are 1" on center.

Last edited:
That makes since but I was under the impression that they only came with one style of caliper.
My kit bike came with an older style caliper...sometimes they just used what they had on hand. They wasted no parts or motors. Even if the motor didn't match the year...they used it.

My hunt for an engine so far has led me to purchas a sears engine that turned out to be an H30 and an engine advertised as 5hp turned out to be an HH60. But still well worth the money I paid for them . Someone will want them.

I'm still yet to find any #'s on the frame. Will hopefully find some once I start removing some of the paint. The best I can tell the original color was a metallic blue.

My lil indian was a "kit" bike too I have no numbers on it I searched high and low for them. Also from what I was told and heard it was a Lansing made bike meaning whatever they had left at that time they used say around early 70's like cheezy said is true. Mine didn't come with a disc brake it had a band brake mine is original color orange with the dealer sticker still on it and factory decals also. I also have an all original lil indian outlaw chopper II that has a clone motor on it and I talked to ray and he said that was original so like cheezy says is true they use what ever they have to make the bike to sell it.

markus

you've got a frame, one style wheel/tire that was used on that version frame (you can use 6" wheels too on those), and some optional fenders. Look at the 1970 catalog (blue with the creepy looking kid pulling a wheelie on a chopper on the front) or the 1971 full color brochure and pick a bike ranging from 400-500 or 700 in 1970 or "cobra" or "skyhawk" in 1971. Pick the one that you like the best, and start hunting for parts, to build that version. The main variances would only be the seat, wheel size, and engine size. You have fenders so you can swing either way if you gotta make it something seen in the brochures.

I'm not sure if the 1970 catalog is actually uploaded and online anywhere, but the 1971 is on minidoodle.com in the brochures section.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:
Try PM'ing AJaxMini or MINI-MATIC....they get into Lil Indian history pretty deep and can give way more details.
Thanks for the shout out Bill. The only thing I can add from what everyone else stated is the headtube decal. I don't know what year they started using what I like to refer to as the "shield" style but it's definitely on Tecumseh style bikes. Maybe another cross over item, not really sure as I've not seen it on any Briggs style bikes which typically used the two "triangle" styled versions.

I might add that the fenders appear to be original as well compared to the set on my first LiL Indian. The only thing about them is they appear to be the six inch version rather than the 4 inch version. The front tire does not look like one that was used on LiL Indians but who knows what all they may have used. The rear General does however. The seat bracket looks a bit to thick for what was used but it looks like holes were drilled for something in the top tubes. Everything else looks pretty standard. Is the rear wheel a mag or steel?