Another MX project….

So I made a trade….a pretty awesome trade from my side….received this….
4A329D9A-3C55-47A4-BED1-099261FDD33A.png
Had a major issue… 7DF5B55F-DFDD-422B-BE61-79C02D3B8336.jpeg 09E322D7-C7D6-4D12-B340-5F65B7E72CC9.jpeg
It happens to be an original hodaka tall jack shaft bonanza….I saw it and kind of chubbed up a little….hoping to keep as original as possible….so had to do this.. DA55EC57-A7B2-40BC-84A0-DB491208F1A8.jpeg 6934376A-D661-447A-B74E-838C9FA58B4F.jpeg
Going to spruce it up splash do paint on the frame but the rest will be as unmolested as I can make it….tank needs a repAir…think Randi’s going to help on that end….but I’ll be damned if everything else isn’t there…just going to add a hot rod 3” shaft hs50….should toss me off the back when I’m finished!

View attachment 296882
Had a major issue… View attachment 296883 View attachment 296884
It happens to be an original hodaka tall jack shaft bonanza….I saw it and kind of chubbed up a little….hoping to keep as original as possible….so had to do this.. View attachment 296885 View attachment 296886
Going to spruce it up splash do paint on the frame but the rest will be as unmolested as I can make it….tank needs a repAir…think Randi’s going to help on that end….but I’ll be damned if everything else isn’t there…just going to add a hot rod 3” shaft hs50….should toss me off the back when I’m finished!
Nice pick up Skipp,congrats! That will be a sweet ride when you are done.

Looking great Skipp. Torque converter maybe with those tall JS plates?
I’m hoping to…that was the plan from the start…have an offer of a hodaka…but I have to try the torque converter out first with a hot rod motor…just to see!

Last edited:
curious about the shocks... I've got an mx with same shocks but didn't think they were original to the bike. great find, you should go buy a lottery ticket.
I questioned the shocks myself….the ones that came on it were the same as the new ones I got in the trade….but I was told they were both wrong….so I assume someone replaced them at some time early in it’s life…. 193C617F-A7DE-4A84-92CD-C42E84790844.jpeg
But hey they’re new sebacs…may sit an inch lower than stock but they’re new sebacs?!?

I originally had a pipe like yours on my atlas, but with the tc it was always wheeling and throwing people off and landing on the end of the pipe. I had to cut it to the end of the seat so the seat and rear wheel would prevent it from hitting the pavement. Its only a issue if the bike has bad wheelie issues. Yours has a longer wheelbase so it may not be an issue.

Attachments

I originally had a pipe like yours on my atlas, but with the tc it was always wheeling and throwing people off and landing on the end of the pipe. I had to cut it to the end of the seat so the seat and rear wheel would prevent it from hitting the pavement. Its only an issue if the bike has bad wheelie issues. Yours has a longer wheelbase so it may not be an issue.
I was wondering about that issue as well…..did you run a 20 or 30…or would it make that much difference….

It is the original TC and It is a TC88. The bike always would wheelie due to the short wheelbase and TC with the original 3.5 hs50, but the HS50 really made it bad. Once it starts to upshift there is no problem and other than starting from a stop or slow speed, it runs great, no barn burner but not for kids just learning.

View attachment 296882
Had a major issue… View attachment 296883 View attachment 296884
It happens to be an original hodaka tall jack shaft bonanza….I saw it and kind of chubbed up a little….hoping to keep as original as possible….so had to do this.. View attachment 296885
It happens to be an original hodaka tall jack shaft bonanza….I saw it and kind of chubbed up a little….hoping to keep as original as possible….so had to do this
View attachment 296886
Going to spruce it up splash do paint on the frame but the rest will be as unmolested as I can make it….tank needs a repAir…think Randi’s going to help on that end….but I’ll be damned if everything else isn’t there…just going geometry dash lite to add a hot rod 3” shaft hs50….should toss me off the back when I’m finished!
Great! Congratulations!:scooter::scooter:

8FA085DB-61EC-413F-8E36-9F356A2E3417.jpeg E8F735E4-BF7B-49E0-9917-447C2479115B.jpeg
A little fine tuning…chain, brake line, grips etc….next big issue will be an attempt at fiberglass repair…tank needs a front stud replaced….

the rear fender sits a little off for me, but with the 1” shorter shocks, and that damn exhaust, it’s what I’ll live with for now…

so far it’s only cost to me…a rear axle longer jackshaft, a belt…and a few Phillips screws…