Another New Guy Intro

Got an invite in my email & decided to sign up. Earlier this Spring I picked up a vintage Tote Goat. I went to the Tote Goat site & tried to sign up, but never got a response. So maybe I'll have better luck here.

The Goat is a runner, has an older style B&S, perhaps 7-8 hp, and a Comet T/C. It has 2 jackshafts and a tractor tread rear tire - you can't stop it! The throttle is still hooked up to the governor, but the throttle control spring seems too light - it only revs up to about 2000rpm governed speed. That coupled with the double reduction yields only about 15 mph. I need to spend an evening working on it to get the throttle squared away. I'd liike to get some info on tracking down the exact model engine I have and some set-up info on the T/C belt tension (seems way too tight now).

I've been rebuilding older motorcycles for about 20 years - Nortons, BSAs, BMWs, Guzzis, and Ducatis, but I always remember where my attraction to 2-wheel transport originated. The Goat was nice & clean, and running - I couldn't pass it up.

I see some others here are in the St Louis are (Riverport swap meet thread). Was wondering if there was ever a meet-up at a place where one could wring out the old bikes around these parts. I have a couple pals with mini bikes too; one with a 2-speed Sears & another with a 2-speed Sachs powered machine. We have been talking about doing a trail ride. Always open to new ideas.

Hope not to be too much of a thorn in your sides with the silly questions. Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself!

Joe in St Louis
Tote-Goat
Nortons
Guzzis
Ducati

Hey Jumpjg

I like the Tote Gotes. I had one, it was a collegiate. It was made in the early 60s for collage students. It was missing the brake. I went to toegote.org and asked a few questions a few different times with no responce. I just stoped using the site, and sold the Tote Gote. Im going to get another someday.

The first thing you should do is remove the governer. Since you know motorcycles youll be able to tell if your pushing it to far. As for the torque converter, you should be able to loosen up the engine mounting bolts and slide the engine back to loosen the belt.

Tote Gotes were really designed to be off road hill climbers. Test it without the governer, and if you still need more top speed you can change the gearng on the jackshafts.

Josh

Last edited:
Welcome, Joe...thanks for joining in with us.

Being silly isn't a problem with me...minibikes are all about fun and being a kid again...at least until my neighbors point out how silly I look riding around the yard on a mini so small it looks like I just have two wheels sticking out of my butt.