Any brick masons here

WLB

My son and I have been looking for a larger shop. We found a nice older building in a good location but it has a problem. It is a concrete block building with brick on the two sides that face streets. On one of the sides the bricks have separated from the concrete blocks with about an inch of light showing all down the wall. All bricks are still intact and unless you look at the side appear to be perfect. The only way I can think of to repair this would be to knock down all the brick and re attach to the concrete. Anyone know of another easier option?

I am thinking some sort of adhesive could be sprayed in to fill up the gap and hold the brick to the blocks but have never heard of such a thing.

oldsledz

I am also , hard to say without seeing it. Can you see between the block and brick? Any wire or flat ties holding them together? The brick could also be tied into the blocks directly if they done it this way you should see a corse that looks like 1/2 brick every so often. There is almost always an air space between the brick and blocks.

WLB

Thanks gammatg and oldsledz. I hadn't seen this property since before the 13th so we went over yesterday to specifically check out the exterior. The brick work was definitely added years and likely decades after the building was put up. Definitely not tied in. There was a fire in the building about 8 years ago and a completely new roof was put on. Don't know if the heat would have contributed to the separation. Didn't appear to have done any harm at all to the concrete blocks when we checked out the interior. The brick on one spot on the wall near a corner of the building was bowed out from the blocks about an inch in the center, tight at the bottom and separated about 1/4 inch at the top. This area is on the verge of bricks falling out. Most of the separation along other parts was around 3/8th to a 1/2. Couldn't tell about the front wall, the ends and around the doors were sealed with mortar about a half inch thick that looks to be many years old.

While we have you here...my neighbor is planning a brick yard fireplace/stove...he is trying to keep it old looking. the question I have is when he is tapering the brick to the chimney should he just stagier the brick like 1 inch at a time in until he gets to the size he wants? also should he use a clay type liner and if so what kind? he is using the red brick you would see on a house. thanks for the input!