any ideas for a seat latch?

On my "Jimmy Gote" I have a hinged seat to get access to the gas tank, air filter, battery. But I need some sort of latch, either mechanical or spring, or rubber snap, or ?? to keep it from bouncing around. Maybe something like the old side panel rubber grommets on the 1970's motorcycles? Really did not want to fab up some sort of car hood latch thingy. Looking more for low tech. Got any ideas?

CarPlayLB

What about taking a 1960's automobile seat belt and cutting the latches off both ends? Attach the tongue to the bike and the latch to the seat?

T-Town Mini

Not sure under the potential harsh conditions if Velcro will hold up. Lots of dirt, dust, etc.
It's a cheap alternative...costs only a couple dollars for a strip of 2" wide x 4" long industrial strength Velcro. I don't think the environment would be much of a problem. As long as the mounting surfaces are cleaned it should hold up well. The wider the contact patch the stronger it holds. You might try fabricating a mounting pad to utilize the full width grip of the Velcro.

It's a cheap alternative...costs only a couple dollars for a strip of 2" wide x 4" long industrial strength Velcro. I don't think the environment would be much of a problem. As long as the mounting surfaces are cleaned it should hold up well. The wider the contact patch the stronger it holds. You might try fabricating a mounting pad to utilize the full width grip of the Velcro.
I had used 2 inch Velcro for some boats seats years ago that did well. Look at my late update under "jimmy gote" for what I decided on. Not quite done, but I think it will work. Spring clips from Ace Hardware for hanging tools, that clip onto the battery box I made with some 1/2 inch round stock. Hopefully wed goes well and I pass my DMV inspection. Then I can do a tear down, finish welding, grinding, priming and painting!

I had used 2 inch Velcro for some boats seats years ago that did well. Look at my late update under "jimmy gote" for what I decided on. Not quite done, but I think it will work. Spring clips from Ace Hardware for hanging tools, that clip onto the battery box I made with some 1/2 inch round stock. Hopefully wed goes well and I pass my DMV inspection. Then I can do a tear down, finish welding, grinding, priming and painting!
Please report back with your "DMV experience" as I am sure others (yours truly included) will find this interesting and educational for the bikes they may want to get registered.
Michael

Please report back with your "DMV experience" as I am sure others (yours truly included) will find this interesting and educational for the bikes they may want to get registered.
Michael
I think I got lucky last week when I went in to see what was required. A rather nasty, rude lady passed me to the person who happened to be there that was in charge of inspections. Her and her hubby build street rods and she understood that I built a custom. And showed real interest in it, plus shared a couple stories, about her cars. Sometimes being an old bastard with a good line of BS comes in handy! She told me that they are not allowed to check to see if everything works, just that it was installed. If it didn't work or meet regs it was up to the cops to write me up. I may not have everything working wed. But it all is on there. After I pass,, or if, I plan to tear it down to paint, so really didn't want to hook everything up. She also said I was ahead to have it inspected before paint as their VIN sticker does better on bare steel with a clear coat over it. And they scrape off powder coat to make it stick. Imagine a 150,000$ street rod and some state twit using his pocket knife to scrape a 15,000 dollar paint job to place a sticker. Insurance was more than I thought, about 140 a year. I have home and 4 other vehicles with them.