Any ideas on this 2 cycle I just got along with Clinton A400

Hi,

I haven't been in here in a while but I still dabble around some. I just purchased a small collection and got this engine in the deal and am trying to determine what it is. No markings but an "M" on the carb. and a Repco flywheel.

Cast aluminum housing and exhaust that exits through a cast housing which surrounds the motor and runs underneath and dumps out the other side....unique!
It may have never been run....tank looks new inside as well as the cork cap seal, NOS clutch attached, the top of the piston looks new, the pull rope is white and looks new.

I appreciate information anyone can offer.

Thanks, Joe

Attachments

Last edited:
That's a really cool motor...I'm certainly not an expert but couldn't help wondering due to the large gas tank if it could have powered something like an old washing machine or some other appliance...I've seen gas washing machine motors but it's been many years and I don't remember if they were 2 stroke....seems like they had a foot kick start...hopefully an expert will chime in...good luck in your quest!

Bird Brain

It appears the fuel tank was built and the engine was an after thought, they fit so well together it all looks so intentional as a unit. Alot of the other 2 cycles from that time frame appear to be engine first and the tank comes tumbling after with a couple straps securing them. Could it be an early Lauson?? Its a cool find for sure. Teeth on the clutch dont appear its been used very much to me either. Be a great restoration project.

Addicted 2 Minis

That's a really cool motor...I'm certainly not an expert but couldn't help wondering due to the large gas tank if it could have powered something like an old washing machine or some other appliance...I've seen gas washing machine motors but it's been many years and I don't remember if they were 2 stroke....seems like they had a foot kick start...hopefully an expert will chime in...good luck in your quest!
Those were the old Maytag engines, they're really cool to see running at the antique engine shows. Funny what we think is cool now was a noisy burden that was a necessity to get the laundry done then.

maxresdefault.jpg

Booyah! I think you guys nailed it. Thanks so much! I looked and looked for Lauson and no similar pics came up but, here it is.
Looks like some manufacturers shared starter recoils.

Still haven't found any decals....maybe under 60 years of caked on dust and muck from sitting on a shelf.

Note the clean cork and inside of tank.....also Mercury clutch decals still intact....don't know if the clutch ever saw heat or a chain.
Also clean filter and inside carb.....the only marking I found so far is "M" on carb. which is stamped MT79A.

I'm still not convinced it was ever run....if it was I'm guessing just a short test run then put away.

And the exhaust is built into this elaborate cast housing which surrounds the engine and supports the tank....almost art deco.

Thanks again! and please share any additional info you have.

Joe

Update....after some mild cleaning it's a Tillitson carb.

Attachments

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Wow, that is clean, like you said if it were run that much the decal would have burnt off the clutch. Tecumseh purchased Lauson Power Products in the early-mid 60’s so when looking for parts, it doesn’t hurt to throw the name Tecumseh in along with your search.

While it is a Tecumseh Power Products, I haven't found any tags or decals other than what is on the Mercury clutch.

I started some disassembly and am pretty sure this is an NOS never run engine.

During disassembly every gasket remained intact, governor/throttle linkage delicate and fully intact, no ware or damage to any of the fasteners, no ware or markings on the recoil engagement teeth, float bowl appears to have never seen fuel nor has the brass float, clutch has zero abrasion inside drum and internals look new. Will do a slow, methodical cosmetic refresh to bring it back from years of storage.

Attachments

Last edited:
I got to piddle around with this motor today and found an aluminum tag with 2 numbers on it.

181A

Also 1010-18 at base of the cylinder.

Can anyone tell me anything from these numbers?

I was told it's an AH-47.....I have no idea if that's correct or what year.

The exhaust is a 2 piece casting which also serves as the motor mount.

Thanks for any additional information you can provide!

Attachments