Anyone delt with The "battle of the bulge"?

I got this Briggs 5 HP real cheap from a broken tiller and it has very little HRs and starts first pull and runs great. HOWEVER the 3/4" keyed shaft it short and the cover has a bulge sticking out that will mess with chain alignment.

SOOOOOO who's been there done that and whats the easy fix? I'm more worried about the bulge than the shaft length at this point.

It's going to be a tight fit but it should work.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
That bulge should be OK. A lot of the older 5hp briggs had a regular side cover just like that.

But if you run into problems you can always find a side cover on ebay, or local for cheap. Even a crank if you need it.

HOWEVER the 3/4" keyed shaft is short and the cover has a bulge sticking out that will mess with chain alignment
For the chain alignment part, simply cut new slots to mount your engine so the sprockets are properly aligned. If the old slots are too close, weld them shut and grind the surface smooth before cutting the new slots.

MDB. do they make extention shims to ad shaft length? Cant the cover be gound down? (haven't look inside yet.

Back yard, the motors usually hang over (the right side)too much as is. :doah:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Man that is to funny.

On those old side covers, it usually doesn't make a difference the way it looks. The clutch side taper on the end that stops the clutch from hitting the side cover is usually at the same spot.

The newer side covers come out further from the block on the sides were the bolts are at. So it looks like the side cover is flat, but really it isn't.

delray

gto,if you want to use the center shaft bolt to hold your clutch better? and use your set screw in the clutch.
you could make a small keyway shaft the same size as the engine shaft and center drill it out and then bolt it back up to the crank with a long keyway to keep it from turning. just make sure the keyway is the right lenth,because there will be a small one inside your clutch. your side cover where your shaft comes out is a good one to use for a bolt on tav-2.(four bolt pattern around the crank) the only problem would be the gas tank. it might be in the way of the tav-2. 5hp engine also works better on larger frames where the engine sets in the center of the frame and the foot pegs are in the front. if you try to keep the engine center from left to right in the frame. you will have to use a jackshaft?
:scooter:..........................:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice delray. Today i did the mod with stuff in my junk bin, I had a spacer that was tight to the screw but had to put a bolt betweein for the right length, then made a thiner key and welded it and bolt to the spacer so it would stay when the clutch key was put in. ( I can take the spacer unit on and off) The clutch key for the cluch is short with and agle to match and a bolt and washer will be on the outside. Ugly yes, but no one will see it. GYO

Last edited:

delray

it should work gto,its only 5hp. with the clutch bolted up it should keep everything together.
:scooter:.......:thumbsup:

Tried the engine in the Manco today and with the gov removed the thing is fast, The "Bulge" does off set alignment with the sprocket so we had to space the rear.

We didn't have a seat so I quickly made a temp out of a 2x6 and T shirt ( UGLY!) The bike does wheelies on demand,, even if you choke up on the seat. :thumbsup: