Anyone have issues with the new off shore Tecumseh carbs??

markus

A couple of months ago, I did the exact same thing. I posted photos somewhere here. From what I gather, that rod slides back and forth with vacuum to either bring the pilot jet circuit on line, or block it. There is a vacuum passage that it lives in.
Here you go ;) https://oldminibikes.com/forum/inde...t-find-help-needed.160675/page-2#post-1185772

And to go along with that info that I posted about the idle circuit in that thread, I had actually drilled out the plug on one since that posting and pulled the rod out. (not a great pic was trying to focus on the corrsion buildup on the rod, this one did not rattle and barely passed any air or liquid through the passage):

gotta figure an easy and reliable way to plug the hole back up still... don't want to risk any type of adhesive plugging the very tiny drilled inlet in the main port though, a lot of times the plug actually looks like a tiny freeze plug, but I have not really tried to do any searching as of yet...I was thinking of pressing in a piece of solid AL rod or something. Hopefully I can find a solution for that and get some more of these saved that I cant get freed up and degunked.

Page 10 of the Tecumseh service manual shows a cutaway drawing showing the rod, and the warning that I gave in the info I posted in the above linked thread about needle installation as well. I have to say after actually drilling one out and pulling the rod, I believe that the rod is actually nothing more than reducing the passage in size and not actually serving any other purpose, hence why its important to make sure you hear it rattle, If not it plugged or restricted even more than it already is. I always thought it opened a closed a passage as you came on and off the throttle but that does not seem to be correct. And a "fun fact", the rod is actually the same diameter/material as the float pin, only not as long. It is about 3/32" dia where the carb passage is 1/8".

o_O Double Bonus Fun Fact, in the pic below the assembly in the upper left is the high speed needle for a Dellorto UA19 (black widow carb). the Tecumseh float pin is also the pefect size for pin (makes the T) so you can make adjustments.....for some reason this carb assembly was missing it, it was an NOS out of box unit so maybe it was never installed or something, never the less I will be using a Float pin for it :cool: