Anyone make their own gas tank?

If you wanted to do something outside of the box or should I say round tube:

one of mine.I do plan on adding a "NOS" bottle for a catch can made from a polished aluminum fire extinguisher bottle.

gbabins1

Nice tanks guys! The propane tank mod.... So how do you make sure its empty before you cut:)

There is a valve stem in the top of the tank... remove it, then blow compressed air into the tank a couple of times to make sure all of the gas is out. :thumbsup:

CC 51

This is sorta like CC51's and oly4's tanks. 3" OD aluminum tube with purchased flanged 'plugs'. They make them for plugging 3" ID hoses...used on tanker trucks and such. The filler neck and cap were made on a lathe.
I may machine a couple of necks and caps and give that a try. Polished aluminum is a lot cheaper than crome!

Yeah but we all know the old saying....."Chrome won't get you home!"
Here are the caps and filler necks from Jeg's that i was looking at to build tanks......
Aluminum JEGS Performance Products 60135 JEGS Filler Cap with Fitting
Steel JEGS Performance Products 60136 JEGS Filler Cap with Fitting

1/4" Weld bung for tank......
Aluminum JEGS Performance Products 15251 JEGS AN & NPT Aluminum Weld Fittings
Steel JEGS Performance Products 16251 JEGS Steel Weld Fittings

I have some aluminum tube, one piece is 4" Dia. x 7 3/8" Long x 1/8" Wall thickness and the other is 6" Dia. x 7 5/8" Long x 1/4" Wall thickness and a buddy of mine is an awesome welder.

Last edited:
The bike in the first pic has a homemade aluminum tank...it's two paint sprayer tanks trimmed down and butt-welded together...the welding was done with an oxy/acetylene torch #1 tip and self-fluxing rod because the tanks are paper-thin and burn through easily with a TIG.

Aluminum is nice because of the non-rusting aspect, but my favorite tanks are propane bottles with brazed-in brass fittings...and the mounts are fabbed up as whatever seems to fit the style of bike the tank will be mounted onto...I prefer simple clamp-style mounts so the tank can be removed easily for winterization.

The bike in the first pic has a homemade aluminum tank...it's two paint sprayer tanks trimmed down and butt-welded together...the welding was done with an oxy/acetylene torch #1 tip and self-fluxing rod because the tanks are paper-thin and burn through easily with a TIG.

Aluminum is nice because of the non-rusting aspect, but my favorite tanks are propane bottles with brazed-in brass fittings...and the mounts are fabbed up as whatever seems to fit the style of bike the tank will be mounted onto...I prefer simple clamp-style mounts so the tank can be removed easily for winterization.
Very nice are those mini pocket wheels and front fork on the black and yellow bike?

Very nice are those mini pocket wheels and front fork on the black and yellow bike?
The wheels were scavenged from a wrecked X7 pocketbike, and I fabbed a #35 sprocket for the rear...

The forks are X2 pocketbike triple trees with fabbed heavy-wall chromoly fork legs and scavenged Answer/Manitou mountain bike lowers...I removed the OEM elastomers and made spring stacks to improve the travel.

There are several other scavenged pocketbike parts on the bike...I bought a dozen trashed pocketbikes of assorted models for $40 each from an import warehouse and used the wheels/tires, kickstands, footpegs, disc brakes, exhaust canisters and a few other parts for one-off custom minbike builds.

Last edited:
Some very cool stuff here! I would like to get a pocket bike to use the front brakes kickstand and fork on my murray:)

Any of you guys make the tank apart of the bike. Thanks ralph

Oldsalt

I used old motorcycle tank filler neck and tomato juice can.Its kinda thin but it works.
Ya, they're thin but, believe it or not, has been used on a production lawnmower. The filler neck and cap from a motorcycle tank like you used looks like the hot set-up. The attached pic is a 2-stroke lawnmower fuel tank. Note that it has exactly the same ends [lids] and diameter as the #303 Del Monte can! In the pic is a new 'one gallon tin can' filler neck and screw cap. That is the best I could fine that's available. It's only 1-1/4" diameter rather than 1-1/2". I picked this tank up for the filler neck and cap..sooner or later I'm going to build a Tom Thumb.

Tell us about the tiny bike you pictured!

Oldsalt

Not really the right place for these evilBay items...but they are round tanks. 170700757677. 170700756884. 190580132040. I get mine by searching 'clinton tank' or 'round tank'.

The little bike is a old mini frame I shrunk and built a micro out of it with snow blower engine ahd other fabricated pieces. The thread is "micro mini bike" and photos are in my pics.

here's a old home made one, picked this up about a year ago at a flea market it holds gas still have to braze on the filler neck.