Anyone ok with their stock disc brakes?

Mine never seemed to grab very well, hardly at all. With the new 6.5 going in soon, I knew something would have to be done about this. I have thought of getting the hydro brake kit, but before that I thought I'd tinker with the stock brake and see how well it performed.

Well, whoever put this thing together didn't adjust them properly, or maybe they just needed re-adjusted because they are getting worn down a bit.

I adjusted the cable at the caliper by loosening the brake cable nut, and moving the arm up a bit, pulled on the extra slack in the cable, and re-tightened it. WHAT a difference! I am actually amazed how well it works now. I'm starting to think that the stock disc brake is not so bad after all.

Anyone else have the stock disc brakes and they work fine? Happy with them? Of course, I'll be keeping the 6.5 stock for now so it may be sufficient. Removing the governer, installing a TAV, etc etc is a must different story with the higher speeds, I am sure.

I might not go hydro with the 6.5 if they keep working this well. I think most people just need to adjust them.

Yeah I thought the same thing till mine broke. I had it adjusted perfectly, almost no slop and had plenty of power.... then SNAP no brakes the part that holds the brake pads on broke in two. New brakes are worth the time and money!

Riley

mine arent a problem for me, and i have the 6.5 clone.
but, i am 115 pounds so i have less inertia for them to fight against

yeah for a lite rider they can be and will work fine but they dont last with the clone motors on them with a heavy rider. some have done the mountain bike setup i think vette66 has one on his he said work great i went on the over top side and got a caliper and master cylinder on mine but mine cost me 250 for the hole setup but i wieght 320 so i need all the brakes i can get for the ovel racing we do

yeah for a lite rider they can be and will work fine but they dont last with the clone motors on them with a heavy rider. some have done the mountain bike setup i think vette66 has one on his he said work great i went on the over top side and got a caliper and master cylinder on mine but mine cost me 250 for the hole setup but i wieght 320 so i need all the brakes i can get for the ovel racing we do
Nice setup there. I bet that thing stops on a dime. Hey I noticed you have the same 6.5 wen power motor that I have. You are the only other one that I've seen with it.

I'm 255lbs and i got a 6.5 on mine and the stocks work okay for me
i do an adjustment every once in awhile - but ill use these till they go completely

the stock brake works pretty good......try one on the front. I modified a rear wheel put it on the front and made a caliper bracket. Great stopping power. a few other members have the same set up

Last edited:
I'm fine with mine until I need to stop suddenly, they are great for a stock 2.8 but the speeds mine sees with the clone they are a little scetchy! They get hot and the fade starts, I am upgrading to the hydraulic setup everyone seems to love! I think promod sells an affordable setup! I will be checking into it soon as $ allows! Promodracing.com has a great setup for $42.95 ready to go with fluid, just bolt on and go! I highly reccomend his products!

Last edited:
I'm 245lbs and the stock brakes are only for the 2.8hp motor.

Try doing 50 mph in the straights to 35 mph in the corners, in the dirt, in a circle, for 20 mins. Then let us know if you still have brakes. Heck get your bike to 50 mph and try and stop. I will bet you (because we tried it) that the Hydro setup will stop 20-25 feet shorter with less lock-up and will do it time and time again. The stock brakes may work guys but they fade fast.

Hayes Mountain Bike (6" rotor type) rear brakes. Bolt on no mods needed. Information link about the brakes I used.

Last edited:
I'm just starting my build but when yinz talk about going 40-50mph on these little things the first thing that comes to my mind is brakes. I want my bike to be able to go that fast(or faster:devil2:) and be able to stop on a dime if something were to happen. I'm only like 155-160 so I don't have too much weight to stop. This thing is costing me more than I originally expected but I think it will be well worth it in the end. The same thing happened when I started reloading.:2guns:

Anyone else have the stock disc brakes and they work fine? Happy with them? ....
You know come to think of it, the stock brakes work better then the hydraulic setup. Hard screeching locks ups that will stop you on a dime. But my bike is modified and tuned to include the brakes. . :scooter: In all of my videos except for the last fun run in March the bike had ran with the stock brakes. Riding on two wheels or one, I got out of it what was put into it.

Last edited:
Nice setup there. I bet that thing stops on a dime. Hey I noticed you have the same 6.5 wen power motor that I have. You are the only other one that I've seen with it.
Yes sir, it stops on a dime and will give you 5 cent change lol. It works very well ive been really happy with this setup. It may be a little on the expensive side but i love it and it has yet to fade as i gets hotter the better the pads work. As far as the wen power motor ive notice also not alot are out there but ive got 4 of em and they have been great motors that for shure.