Anyone With Measurements For Honda/Clone Engines?

Hi. I'd like to install a billet flywheel onto my EX-17 Robin. However, the vendors I've contacted don't have aftermarket 'wheels for it. No one knows if the Honda/clone flywheel will fit any Robin engines.

If someone out there can post specifications on Hondas or clones, I can compare them with Robin engine flywheel measurements.

The Robin EX-17 engine flywheel

1-piece mounting plate and fins;

2.36" thick, including fins;

7 lbs. in weight;

7.0625" in diameter;

keyway is .125" wide;

The Robin engine's crankshaft is tapered;

Its machined nose is 1.125" long;

Total length of shaft with threaded tip is 1.93" long;

At its base, the machined shaft is .97" diameter;

At the nose of this machined surface, it is .79" in diameter;

The shaft's half-moon key is .11" wide.

Thanks for any information you can give.:thumbsup:

Thanks for your offer, man.

Yes, that Robin wheel IS heavy, lol. When I removed it, the Robin seemed VERY light.

In fact, with flywheel, pull start, tank and air cleaner removed, my EX-17 weighs about 20 lbs.!:thumbsup:

Heres some pics. Please use as a guide only, and judge accordingly. I would say you could make it fit with a coil bracket and some machining. You may want a gx200 coil.

More pics
I am not sure if the keyway measurement is 100%.
IMO if you plan to do lots of modification, you may be better off starting with a clone.

Thanks!

Wow!!:thumbsup:

EXCELLENT descriptions!

Yeah, keyways are hard to measure. The key was MUCH easier to gauge.

Thanks again, man.

r_chez, can you measure the woodruff key's thickness? Yours look thicker than mine. If it is, then a new, thinner keyway would have to be machined onto the new flywheel.

Too bad you couldn't measure a crank that was still in the block. I'm having difficulty comparing my crank measurement(length) with yours..

r_chez, can you measure the woodruff key's thickness? Yours look thicker than mine. If it is, then a new, thinner keyway would have to be machined onto the new flywheel.

Too bad you couldn't measure a crank that was still in the block. I'm having difficulty comparing my crank measurement(length) with yours..
About the 7/8th mark you can see where the seal rides on the crank,hope that helps.

Would it be the same as the 4th picture?
No, that's the keyway(groove). The woodruff key is several ten-thousandths of an inch smaller. It is much easier to measure. I know the Robin key is smaller than the Honda's. I just wanna know the difference.

Motra, you might be right about that timing difference.

Thanks for taking more time, r_chez_o8.

What I'll prolly do is buy a used Honda engine locally, hopefully for cheap. If its pulley bolts down onto the Robin's shaft, then I'd consider machining a thinner keyway. If ignition timing is normal, THEN I'd buy a Honda billet 'wheel for the Robin.

If the used Honda flywheel does NOT fit the Robin, then I'd prolly run it w/governor and rebuild the Honda engine for high performance.

Last edited:
FYI, the aftermarket flywheel for the Honda/clone engine will definitely NOT fit my Robin EX-17 engine.

The Robin's tapered shaft is too thick, so the ARC flywheel that I have will not seat.

Besides, the Robin's key is too thin. A new keyway would have to be machined on the ARC flywheel.

Case closed.

I have a subaru 7hp motor .... I got a billet arc rod and flywheel for it ...I'm not sure if the ex21 flywheel will work on your motor but I don't see why not if ex17 parts are interchangeable with ex21 parts. I will post a pic for u .