Anything Goes - Jack's Ratrod Tru-Test Trike

After a long absence I have returned to the forum at the thought of competing in the Oldminibikes Build off for 2018!

After competing in the 2016 build off I had finished a Lil Indian to a rather high standard. Now, I'm going the other way, and making a bike, well, trike. And not just any trike, I'm building a Rat-Rod trike, out of a bike :laugh:

Since I'm not making a bike per say, I'll be entering in the Just For Fun class.

Whats the project?:

The plan is to convert this rusty, past restoration '72 Tru Test (Lil Indian) into a wild little beast with not two, but three wheels, whilst retaining its very weathered and worn out look. I love keeping things original, and this theme continues through to the engine, an original patina styled 5HP Briggs. The motor is pretty worn and can be hard to start, but with the late model Pulsa Jet Carb I slapped onto it and the Magnetron ignition coil it has, it makes for a pretty snappy little flatty.

For wheels I'll have to find something quite low profile for the front to fit under the stainless forks, and for the rears, I'd like to run the steel rims with slicks for that retro look.

Let me know what you think. Hoping I can pull this off between building a classic mini and a racing mower!

( The position of the wheels in the photo is NOT final and will be subject to change! )
Cheers OldMiniBikes,
Jack.

I love the rust! I like the way it sits, everything just placed there [emoji23] love the rat rod projects. Definitely subscribed, looking forward to see where you go with this! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to getting into the build myself and seeing where I go with it. No ideas are set in stone yet, so It'll be interesting to see how it turns out in the end. I have a good mental picture, I've just got to put it on paper and finally, build from there.

I think the engine still runs, I cant even remember anymore :laugh: Already have an idea for the air filter, and thats the last thing the motor needs.

Updates to come soon, when I tear into it!

Cheers,
Jack.

Welcome back, Jack! Glad to see you in! That frame looks as mucked up as the Lil Indian I did last year in the build-off. Just know the frame tubes are pretty thin wall and you might need to plug some places to give you the strength you'll need for that 5hp.

Welcome back, Jack! Glad to see you in! That frame looks as mucked up as the Lil Indian I did last year in the build-off. Just know the frame tubes are pretty thin wall and you might need to plug some places to give you the strength you'll need for that 5hp.
Always good to hear from you doc! I have cut and welded in new sections where the frame was rather weak and full of holes. I believe it might just be strong enough, but I have thought to add in extra gussets in the more stressed areas of the frame :thumbsup:

Yep, I have come up with a plan. I've bought some old 5" go kart rear wheels with slicks, and have just purchased some 1" pillow block axle bearings. Next to buy is the 1" axle, wheels hubs, sprocket and brake disc. I've already got some hydraulic brakes sorted so I wont need to worry there :thumbsup:

Once I have my axle I'll get into some test fitting and sort ride heights. Would love this to sit lower than a standard minibike for that custom "stance" :laugh:

Would really love to gear this thing in such a way that I can pull wheelies rather easily :) I'm thinking a 72 tooth rear sprocket to a 12t clutch? I've never been great at calculating speed/torque when it comes to gear ratios so if you're an expert I'd love to get some ideas on this! More torque than speed is probably best, as this thing would be scary to ride at speed.

Pictures to follow soon-ish!

-Jack

Last edited:
Jack, I'd go with a 60 tooth rear. With a 12, that'll give you 5:1. It'll be more speed but I think that 5hp, short frame and slicks will be too much at 6:1. You're going to need wheelie bars, regardless. There's a video out there someplace of a guy with a 5hp on Lil Indian riding wheelies. He tried to sell it for a small fortune. If you can find it, you'll see how easy that little bike pulls up. As to front wheel, 4 or 5" will give you a low stance (I used 4s).

Jack, I'd go with a 60 tooth rear. With a 12, that'll give you 5:1. It'll be more speed but I think that 5hp, short frame and slicks will be too much at 6:1. You're going to need wheelie bars, regardless. There's a video out there someplace of a guy with a 5hp on Lil Indian riding wheelies. He tried to sell it for a small fortune. If you can find it, you'll see how easy that little bike pulls up. As to front wheel, 4 or 5" will give you a low stance (I used 4s).
Thanks doc! That sets it in stone, I'll be going with a 60t rear and 12t clutch. I had this idea earlier but really needed some expert confirmation :laugh: I'll pick up some tube to make up my wheelie bars on my way home from work someday this week, but progress has been slow as I have had my hands full with lots of projects!

I've got a few 4" rims to choose from, and I'll be buying a slick for the front to match the rear and give it that "dragster" or "street/strip" look that I have always admired.

Photos to come soon! I might just have to become a supporting member to get more photo allowance (well overdue to become a supporting member of this awesome forum anyway :doah:)

Take care all, apologies for the lack of updates! Photos will follow tonight.

Jack

It's time for a change of plans.....:doah:

Unfortunatly, I no longer have my rear wheels due to some complications with lending them out. I will get them back, but I won't have enough time to set everything up how I would like to. But there's always a plan B!

I recently bought a Honda ATC70 Trike (thread coming soon!) and needed some parts for it. A chinese quad bike popped up for cheap, so I bought it to wreck. After taking the 4 wheels off it that I required for the trike, I looked at it and thought that the rear axle and suspension could rather easily be adapted to the Tru Test! This saves me time and money, so I no longer need to buy axle/keyway/brakes/sprocket etc... It's all assembled and ready to run!

The second idea was to utilize the motor too. I've been having problems with my Briggs for a while (hard starting, bad recoil, fuel leaks) so to avoid the trouble, I have thought about using a little engine I bought as a spare for my Honda Trike - A period 70's Honda 50 4 stroke. It's a 4 speed manual, and these can be revved out pretty hard too, with good aftermarket support. Plus, It would go well with the rear sprocket (gearing/chain pitch). All I would need to do is make up a few mounting brackets.

Only problem is, is that shes missing a few parts here and there! Nothing too major though. The guy I bought it off said it had been rebuilt, but by the sounds of the gears, it was sure done on the cheap :laugh: I'd love the experience rebuilding one of these anyways, so I think I'll dig into it and see if I can make it go back together.

Man, she'll be one wheelie machine when shes done!

Wish me luck.

Also, apologies for the terribly slow updates. I have started a new job, have two cars that need attention, and paperwork to do... But I'll be getting back into the Trike project.

Thanks folks!
Jack.