Ap-4600 head light?

I bought the head light and the switch knobs were broken. What are the correct switches to replace them with. It had 2 switches with on/off and high/low. I already have a replacement lense on its way for it.
Thanks for all help.

I bought the head light and the switch knobs were broken. What are the correct switches to replace them with. It had 2 switches with on/off and high/low. I already have a replacement lense on its way for it.
Thanks for all help.
Have a look at the Stens 430-017 switch. Widely available.

markus

Could you tell me where you found the replacement lense?
All mine have had the GE 4420 (30w/30w) headlight bulbs in them, those are already kinda taxing on the weak charging systems Higher wattage ones will be worse. Wagner replacements are easily found, GE not so much anymore.

You can convert a sealed beam to led to make it low power and bright. Just get the one inch diamond cutter at home depot to cut a one inch hole in the back of the bulb and silicone in led.

You can convert a sealed beam to led to make it low power and bright. Just get the one inch diamond cutter at home depot to cut a one inch hole in the back of the bulb and silicone in led.
How much of a difference is there? And would I still be able to run it off the engine?

Ok so I looked it up and it looks like it would work for the on/off switch. But, the high low switch had 3 or 4 wires to it. It looked very similar to the cat kill switches but more wires. If that makes sense?
Yes, it does make sense and I missed it. Try this one for your bright/dim, although it is a quick disconnect type.

If you go to the switch section of Granger, you can see what they offer. Look under Carling first.

Best I can do Joe, without having the switches in my hand. Note that Granger lists the sizes of the holes required and toggle lengths. Don't worry about the amperage, as you will never exceed it. Small as possible.

Two diodes and a cap fix that. Its been discussed on here a lot if you want to search, here is a pic of mine which is a copy of Tecumseh's plus a smoothing cap.

I have this setup on 3 bikes with lighting coils and it works great. I run a 1157 style led taillight bulb and the headlight bulb which I have used different ones all from china and all dirt cheap and all are brighter than any incandesant was on a mini.

Thanks for all help.
I looked at the switches when I rewired my SB. The on - off is just a simple 2 wire SPST switch. The hi - lo is a different beast all to its self. It has 3 wires on mine and I thought to myself that it would be next to impossible to replace when I saw it. If you could find a switch with the ball handle in a DPDT it would work. Even a DPDT would work as you wouldn't see the extra poles. As a matter of fact you could use either of these for both switches if you can find the ball handle. Just have to wire it accordingly.

If you don't have the original switches I can pull the headlight out and post pics of mine for you. Just let me know.

Doug

PS; [MENTION=31239]Havasu Dave[/MENTION] Check my terminology on the switches. I think I am correct. But its been a long time since I used the terminology...

Last edited:
I looked at the switches when I rewired my SB. The on - off is just a simple 2 wire SPST switch. The hi - lo is a different beast all to its self. It has 3 wires on mine and I thought to myself that it would be next to impossible to replace when I saw it. If you could find a switch with the ball handle in a DPDT it would work. Even a DPDT would work as you wouldn't see the extra poles. As a matter of fact you could use either of these for both switches if you can find the ball handle. Just have to wire it accordingly.

If you don't have the original switches I can pull the headlight out and post pics of mine for you. Just let me know.

Doug

PS; [MENTION=31239]Havasu Dave[/MENTION] Check my terminology on the switches. I think I am correct. But its been a long time since I used the terminology...
SPDT with three contacts for bright dim. Pretty simple stuff actually, and if Joe checks it out, he'll even see those "Cat" switches and realize he's been paying too much.

Doug

If you could that would be great. Mine just shattered when I took them out.