Arco clutch brake

markus

These 1971-72 clutch brakes setup that arco used, they pull from the front bottom correct? It’s how the bracket was placed ( no band on it) when I picked it up yesterday. While my service manual states they used a clutch brake, it does not show an example. E18D1439-B29D-4AF8-BFB9-CF7799EAD5A8.jpeg

mustangfrank

These 1971-72 clutch brakes setup that arco used, they pull from the front bottom correct? It’s how the bracket was placed ( no band on it) when I picked it up yesterday. While my service manual states they used a clutch brake, it does not show an example. View attachment 285396
I've only seen the ARCO brochure pics show the routing down low along the frame to the rear brake bikes until I started looking again. It's a 1970 ad but both brake cables run low down the left on the spoke wheel bike.

1970 ARCO Easy-Rider.jpg

And I didn't know the year on this ad but it shows a couple other models with the clutch brake cable visible.

ARCO ad.jpg

Last edited:
These 1971-72 clutch brakes setup that arco used, they pull from the front bottom correct? It’s how the bracket was placed ( no band on it) when I picked it up yesterday. While my service manual states they used a clutch brake, it does not show an example. View attachment 285396
From just a quick glance, it looks as if the band anchor is placed wrong... as it looks now if you apply the brake, the action of the clutch will try to "pull" the band away and reduce the braking force. Maybe move the anchor bracket to the rear and bring the cable in like the other pics/brochures show (still from the front) and the brake will work much better...

markus

From just a quick glance, it looks as if the band anchor is placed wrong... as it looks now if you apply the brake, the action of the clutch will try to "pull" the band away and reduce the braking force. Maybe move the anchor bracket to the rear and bring the cable in like the other pics/brochures show (still from the front) and the brake will work much better...

I was thinking the same thing about the pull of the band. I need to clean/scrape off the dirt slurry on the engine and see if there is any indication of it being at the rear before and someone just swapped it over, the captive nut is missing on that bracket on the front for the chainguard so I could totally see someone swapping the brackets so they could reach a bolt and nut (although the nut could have simple been swapped on the brackets)........just shocked the chainguard is still on it :oops:

mustangfrank

I get the better band grab if the pin were on the bottom rear but wouldn't any improvement be lost to the cable pull (push?) being inefficient, assuming cable still coming in factory style/front/low through the band eyelets?

Dad's chopper has the cable run low. IT came with the disc and the clutch brake stock. I was wondering if it was a deler add on since it has both brakes?

markus

Dad's chopper has the cable run low. IT came with the disc and the clutch brake stock. I was wondering if it was a deler add on since it has both brakes?

I dont think so, Is it the spoked wheeled front one, that one is shown with both. I kinda wish this one was either disc or even scrub, I need a simple bike with a large engine bay opening that I can use for a "mule" that is not really sought after (so I can weld stands, switches, remote tank etc..) that I can slap engines in for testing......may as well cruise the hood during break-in time plus it puts a load on them. the width between tire and sprocket on these is so wide I think I coud maybe pull off using a late model type caliper thats bolt though, Gotta dig around and see if I have one still.

Sometimes that is nessesary to keep from the brake grabbing too much and locking up. I had to swap a few around because of that

I dont think so, Is it the spoked wheeled front one, that one is shown with both. I kinda wish this one was either disc or even scrub, I need a simple bike with a large engine bay opening that I can use for a "mule" that is not really sought after (so I can weld stands, switches, remote tank etc..) that I can slap engines in for testing......may as well cruise the hood during break-in time plus it puts a load on them. the width between tire and sprocket on these is so wide I think I coud maybe pull off using a late model type caliper thats bolt though, Gotta dig around and see if I have one still.
No his is the later 6" front and rear wheel...