ARCO Project

nice motor work. what steps did you use for prep work? was the engine soda/glass beaded? looks awefully clean on the clutch side. nice work. i do some glass beading but really want to start soda blasting my engine stuff. maybe santa will bring me one.

nice motor work. what steps did you use for prep work? was the engine soda/glass beaded? looks awefully clean on the clutch side. nice work. i do some glass beading but really want to start soda blasting my engine stuff. maybe santa will bring me one.
The clutch side, front, and top sides of the engine were degreased and painted with hi-temp engine paint. I think it was made by Rustoleum and the color is called "flat cast aluminum".
So what your seeing is paint. The original cast aluminum side cover was stained and the stains wouldn't come off with normal cleaning.
The shroud was sanded and painted with some gloss black lacquer.

This last week I made a clutch brake set-up. I topped it off with a OldMiniBikes clutch cover.

My 6" wheels, tires, and tubes arrived from OldMiniBikes and got those mounted up.

Also, I cut-out a new seat pan from 3/4" plywood. I believe I'm going to have OldMiniBikes member "Kenny" cover the seat next month. Stripped most of the paint off the frame. Bought and trimmed up a replacement front fender (It's now almost identical to the original rear Arco fender I already had). I cut and grinded down a 3/4" solid rod and inserted it inside the frame for the new foot pegs. The new folding foot pegs are from Allied Leisure.

Here's a picture of my helper "Molly" with the mini project:

I think I'm now finally ready to weld up all the loose pieces which includes:
-engine plate
-foot peg rod
-jackshaft plates
-gas tank mount
-exhaust system
-kickstand
-fender brackets reinforced
-seat plates reinforced
-etc...etc..etc..

A ran into a old co-worker who might be able to the welding for me. Otherwise, I'm going to need to find somebody locally.

Schedule wise I hope to have the welding done before end of December. In January the powdercoating and seat should be finished. I might drop off a few pieces for nickel and ceramic plating in February. I'm crossing my fingers for final assembly and completion by the end of February.

Last edited:
Those wheels look good. It will be nice when it is finished. What color are you going to paint it?
Color Undecided.
I'm not going to pick a color until I drop it off at the powdercoaters. He has so many cool colors to choose from. I like to look at them in person on the sample plates. I do know it will be a metallic of some sort.

Color Undecided.
I'm not going to pick a color until I drop it off at the powdercoaters. He has so many cool colors to choose from. I like to look at them in person on the sample plates. I do know it will be a metallic of some sort.
I love choosing a color to paint a project, each color gives the bike a different character. On the other hand it can be a pain in the a:censure: because it is so hard to decide. Bike looks great. :thumbsup:

I like what you are doing with this arco. I really like the tank you built. I just found this thread a couple of days ago and found it very interesting and ironic since I just got my arco frame back from powdercoating last week. I totally get what you are talking about on the original handlebars. I like what you did with your new ones. I ended up putting my handlebars in a bender and bending them to make it more comfortable and easier to ride. I just got it back together and am building an aluminum vertical tank for it now to mount in front of the engine. here are a couple pics of mine and what i did. i really enjoyed your pics. keep up the good work.

The last few weeks I've been working on trying to sort out this Arco front end with new bushings and fork spring.
I drilled out the well worn and enlarged 1/2" fork bolt hole to a larger 5/8".
The bronze bushings I purchased had a 5/8" ID and 1" OD.
Unfortunately, The ID of my fork tube was about .94" so the bushings 1" OD had to be machined down to fit. A local machine shop charged me only $25 to do that. The place is pretty much closed down and the owner is semi-retired but still does small jobs.
I bought a small block chevy valve spring for the lower fork spring and found some retaining washers that worked out perfect.

This is the part where I got into a bar fight and won!

The original handlebars were slightly bent and only 19 1/2" wide. They weren't wide enough for my liking and didn't feel comfortable. I also wanted the option to be able to adjust -and- fold down the handlebars so I can transport this minibike in the back of my car. So off came the handlebars! Oh, the horror!

I purchased a set of bmx bike knee-saver type handlebars called "Bar Fight". no...really!
4 PIECE BARFIGHTS

They were 28" wide and I cut them down to 24" wide. Also purchased new bar clamps.

Arco's original foot pegs were very narrow and not very functionable. So I cut off what little pegs were there and inserted a steel rod. I'll be using some bonanza style pegs. I'm gonna wait until I get wheels and tires mounted before I decide on the final length of the peg rod and foot pegs and weld it in.

Up Next: I need to buy some wheels and tires and mount them up so I can finish mocking up the frame.
Hopefully OldMiniBikes will be having a Thanksgiving Weekend sale on 6" wheels and tires! :thumbsup:
I want to get the all welding done soon and get this thing out to powdercoat.
Where did you get the Bar Fight bars and bar mounts? I want to do this to my Rupp so I can put it in the car.

Where did you get the Bar Fight bars and bar mounts? I want to do this to my Rupp so I can put it in the car.
Ebay:
Bar Fight handlebars:
HITMAN BMX BIKES OLD SCHOOL 4 pc handlebars USA SO-CAL mfg flt BLACK 8x28 10b 2u | eBay

Clamps:
Pit Dirt trail bike ATV SBK handle bar riser 2 mount | eBay

Taller Version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pit-Dirt-tr...16?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35aa95b378

One thing to consider is the rough clamping area (knurled) section on the
bars is about 2" wide. The wider you mount your clamps, the more off the clamping area you will be. And you can't go to wide because the bars "V" in at the bottom. And If you mount them too close together, you start getting close to interfering with steering tube bolt (or the bolts and mounting nuts might interfere with the steering tube itself underneath). I saw your build thread and your steering tube looks kinda big.

I'm about half on/half off the knurled section. But then again, some bars are completely smooth at the clamping area so maybe it depends on how much extreme riding one does.

Last edited:
Last weekend I was able to get all the welding done. About time!

Today I mocked up the mini for the last time before powdercoat. Added the petcock to tank. Drilled some holes in the gas tank mounting bracket for the brake and throttle cables.

Next, I need to make a support bracket for the muffler, Then will disassemble and do some final grinding and sanding. In January, off to powdercoat. I'm starting to get excited about riding this thing even though it might be a couple months away. :scooter:

I like what you are doing with this arco. I really like the tank you built. I just found this thread a couple of days ago and found it very interesting and ironic since I just got my arco frame back from powdercoating last week. I totally get what you are talking about on the original handlebars. I like what you did with your new ones. I ended up putting my handlebars in a bender and bending them to make it more comfortable and easier to ride. I just got it back together and am building an aluminum vertical tank for it now to mount in front of the engine. here are a couple pics of mine and what i did. i really enjoyed your pics. keep up the good work.
Outlaw17: Nice and clean looking Arco! I love the colors and look of your engine!!

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/a...gs/37272d1324338384-arco-project-hpim0882.jpg

That is a great looking bike. You did a really good job on the gas tank. The tec looks right at home on it, and the 5 spokes make it look really sharp. Can't wait to see what color you pick for powder coating. :thumbsup:

That is a great looking bike. You did a really good job on the gas tank. The tec looks right at home on it, and the 5 spokes make it look really sharp. Can't wait to see what color you pick for powder coating. :thumbsup:
Thanks.
Those are actually 3 spoke Tri-Stars. Their not photographed too well so it's kinda hard to tell.
In my head, I've been kicking around colors like metallic golds, greens, black cherry, and even rootbeer browns.
I do remember the Powdercoater having some chameleon color shifting colors. I might be going that route. If it's too hard to pick one color, then let it change colors on it's own depending on the angle your looking at.
I'll have to see what the pricing is though.

I'm kinda liking the color on the top right (but hey, they all look pretty good).

Nice ARCO, I just got mine out after sitting for at least 10 years...Gonna have a sick project like yours! Good work! Love the modifications you've completed so far.

Latest Updates:
OldMiniBikes member "kbs8ball" aka Kenny covered the seat for me. It looks awesome with it's diamond pleats! A low profile seat with the same height the entire length is what I wanted he delivered big! Thanks again Kenny. :thumbsup:
Check him out if you need a seat.
8ballzkustomz minibike seats

I stripped down the frame and was going to drop off at the powdercoaters yesterday (1/19) but that didn't happen.

Unfortunately the weather has closed down his shop (and most of Western Washington) until next week. First we had lots of snow, then freezing rain came and the heavy trees broke on the power lines knocking out electricity to 250,000+ and climbing. :shrug: But luckily I do have power and never lost it. :smile:

So instead I sat in my warm cozy house and did some online shopping. I ordered some parts needed for making an "alternative" rear sprocket set-up since I didn't like the quality of the drum sprockets available for the tri-stars. Pics when it's complete.

My next chance to run out to the powdercoaters will be 1-2 weeks depending on my work schedule. So until then, not much more to do. I guess I could clean the Tecumseh carb that I've been putting off, but the garage is cold so maybe not. :tongue:

Last edited: