Arco Reynolds twist grip throttle housing and foot pegs covers

Hello.

I just picked up this Arco 3600 last weekend. It was from the original owner who bought it in 1969. my question is about the throttle grip housing it’s black and not chrome. He said it’s original, he did the restore many years ago. I’m not sure. Maybe he doesn’t remember replacing it?
I’ve never seen black ones from the late sixties. Anyone seen black throttle housings on vintage bikes? Pictures of these in original condition are hard to find. Also some pictures I’ve seen show white foot peg covers?

Thanks.
AF26CAC7-194F-4B12-B2E2-9A7F7E03ED2F.jpeg 8AC48190-BECB-445F-AFEF-9E7AA9F36754.jpeg

Is there a name embossed on it? The grips look correct. The HPE Muskin bikes used a black plastic gran turismo throttle housing. I can't recall if any of my Arco survivors had them or not...

Thanks for the updates.

I don’t see any markings on the housing. It does have strange bolts. As you can see they are smooth rounded tops. I’m thinking the grips are original, I am starting to think the throttle housing is original or at least vintage period correct. Although I have no photo evidence of that. The original owner claims everything is original when he bought it in 69.

I have seen some pictures of old Arco’s that do have white for peg covers. Good luck finding those. That’s something that wears out so I could see those getting replaced with black covers.

Good info.

some of the pics I’ve seen do have white peg covers. So I will be hunting for those to replace the black ones. Not sure when this catalog was printed but it shows white peg covers on all their models. Also in you zoom in it appears to be a shiny throttle housing. Mine is the 3600. I think it’s the upper far right based on the square seat.
if I do decide to replace the housing with chrome which I’m leaning to, hoping I can do that without tearing up the current grips.

do you know what year your Arco was? 0F033CBA-254A-491A-9122-B6458CE7269F.jpeg

mustangfrank

Good info.

some of the pics I’ve seen do have white peg covers. So I will be hunting for those to replace the black ones. Not sure when this catalog was printed but it shows white peg covers on all their models. Also in you zoom in it appears to be a shiny throttle housing. Mine is the 3600. I think it’s the upper far right based on the square seat.
if I do decide to replace the housing with chrome which I’m leaning to, hoping I can do that without tearing up the current grips.

do you know what year your Arco was? View attachment 282907
Can't remember on that brand of throttle and I don't have one here but usually you can leave the grip on the "sleeve" and swap it into another chrome housing of the same exact brand and type.

Good info.

do you know what year your Arco was? View attachment 282907
I actually had two chopper survivors with the white foot peg rubber (Hunt Wilde) on them. I also found a black plastic throttle housing in some arco parts I was planning to use on my sons chopper restoration. The grips arent the same Odeon's as yours but I do know they are correct for the chopper so I believe the houising is as well...

Well....that's very interesting. Maybe ARCO used both chrome and black. I do think the one on my 69 3600 is period correct. Saw the exact housing on eBay for sale. The brand is "Superior" seller says it's 70's era. Now I think my seller may be correct that everything on the bike is really original.
(except maybe black foot peg covers). Those do wear out quickly and maybe black was the easiest to find.

Everyone seems to agree the foot peg covers were originally white.

Thanks for the great information.