Arctic Cat Confirmation

Hey everyone!

I have been all over the interwebs and the closest I could find to this bike is the Arctic Cat Ram Rod. However, the ID tag on mine is gone so I can't confirm or deny that. So that brings me here for some experience. It has aftermarket rims but I believe the number plate up front is original. The second picture shows what i believe to be original paint; if not then it was really well done. The RR seems to have charging coils stock: however, that could have been lost with the original engine. I'm not familiar with many of the older models so I just want to confirm that I am not over looking anything. I plan to restore this bike so I want to get of to a proper start. Thanks in advance!

Yes, It's a 1972 Arctic Cat Ramrod. The flat engine plate and long stamped steel swing arms are the giveaway. The swing arms on the Climber are flat steel.

Last edited:
Here's a good example of a complete Ramrod survivor. (well, minus the silly mud flap they added on the tail)

72ramrod03.jpg

1972 Ramrods and Prowlers had 10" spoked wheels, narrow painted fenders, internal spring front forks, rectangular reflectors, "black rubber band" trim on the tank, longer kickstands, wide contoured swingarm (as noted already), headlight and taillight, integrated red button kill switch in the throttle body, longer brake cables and 3"x10" trials tires. Original paint is the awesome metallic blue you see in the picture.

So you'll need a few things if restoring to original. Most notably the correct 98cc Kawasaki 2-cycle engine, exhaust, leopard seat, lighting front and back (interesting how they re-used the headlight mount for the number plate) and correct wheels and different rear sprocket. Engine and exhaust are the $$$ and hard to find parts.

BTW, as far as the brakes go, '72 Ramrods and Prowlers used the same brake pads found in all Honda Trail 70's.

Thanks everyone!
Sorry Tom, if I had been back on a computer before Arcticminibike posted I would have given you the point.
And as far as the restoration goes for now I'll get as close as I can with what I have and go from there. I like the number plate and will probably stick to the hi-viz yellow and black...so... yeah... it's early I'm winging it right now. I would also like to take it out to the Thunderdrome and maybe the White Knuckle Scramble next summer. (I heard it's coming back). Once I get the dry wall up in the garage I'll be getting a build thread going.

Thanks again guys.