Are clone motors junk?

jeep4me

I just traded a "reel" mower, the kind golf courses use on the greens, for a Baja Motorsports Doodle Bug. It has a clone on it and the thing starts up but won't go anywhere. If you give yourself a push you might get up to 3-4 mph but that's it. I have a really nice 3.5 hp Briggs off from an edger that I think I'll be putting on it. Is the clone worth saving or not?

OldMan

...or the clutch is about worn out... both my minis have 4hp clones and they run faster than we can ride around my place.

Last edited:

jeep4me

If I rev the engine the clutch does make a pinging sound, I thought also that someone may have put a stronger clutch on it and the motor just doesn't spin fast enough to engage it properly.

The doodle Bugs probably are 2.5 or 2.8. The Briggs will probably do better. You still could have a clutch problem though. Even the little engine should move you unless you're a big ol' boy.

jeep4me

Well, I have been known to eat at Dunkin Donuts once in while. But I can stand next to the bike and give it full throttle and it just chatters a little. I should probably tear into it and get a better look at what I'm dealing with. I did just get it tonite.

delray

clutch could be bad? if the motor rev's-up then you may have a bad clutch.
i have the same bike and had to do some modifly to it. so it would perform better. the way that bike was built from the factory(china) was set up wrong.(something wong:chinese:) if your weight is over 130 or more it will perform real poor.
:scooter:...............................:chinese:

jeep4me

Old Man, I see some of the same kind of mini's as you have posted for sale in my area. How are they to ride? speed? good for kids?

delray

look also at oldman's minibikes. note that the rear sprocket is large. this is what you want on a low horse power engines (2-4hp) when using a clutch or a jackshaft can gear it down too.

jeep',

Old Man, I see some of the same kind of mini's as you have posted for sale in my area. How are they to ride? speed? good for kids?
I, and my three grown sons, have been quite pleased with these... you should have seen them racing around the pond on Labor day... still haven't taken the governors off, but they have more top-end than we can use around the place now... out on the road (I live in the sticks, thank goodness), they could use more, but even with my 230 pounds on board, they run about 20-25 mph.

Here's a pic with my two eldest and my grand-kids, for some sense of size.