Are tecumseh "power sport" motors any good?

I am considering buying a tecumseh power sport 3.5hp motor for under $50. Runs good and looks to be in nice shape. ANy one have good experience with these motors, or should i save my money. Need someone to talk me into or out of it

MikeBear

They work great, until they blow up if modified in any way. Don't mess with the governor. The only real trouble spot for the newer ones, is that their carburetors suck.

They work great, until they blow up if modified in any way. Don't mess with the governor. The only real trouble spot for the newer ones, is that their carburetors suck.
Okay cool, i dont plan to modify it, just cruise around now & then. If the carb ever gives me trouble would it be possible to replace it with an h35 carb? And do you think 40 seems like a good deal if in great shape? Thanks for your reply!

my friend has one on a murray that works great. I have one that was a nos 4 hp for a rupp i did and it is reliable and smooth. I like them.

They are good if left stock as the flatheads go, the OHV engines can take some mods and some abuse. I'd like to find a nice OHV 6.5hp powersport, an NOS one would really be sweet.

MikeBear

Okay cool, i dont plan to modify it, just cruise around now & then. If the carb ever gives me trouble would it be possible to replace it with an h35 carb? And do you think 40 seems like a good deal if in great shape? Thanks for your reply!
H35 carb should work fine as a replacement. $40 seems like a good price to me, if it's in very good shape. Take $40 with you, ($10 bills/mixed cash) (don't show the money to him or tell him you have it) and look it over real good, THEN look right at him and ask him if that's his BEST PRICE and then shut up! Keep looking right at him until he answers.

Maybe he'll knock off another $10. Don't now insult him by then handing him two $20's and asking for change, LOL!

Last edited:
If the carb gives you grief in the future (it probably is fine now as you said it runs good), then just buy a $12 carb from eBay. Those cheap carbs work just fine :)

The Power Sport engine I had was great. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

Danford1

One of the Baja Doodlebugs we bought years ago had one on it. While the ENGINE performance was fine, the CARB really sucked. Ours had a non-adjustable carb with a "primer bulb" (no choke) for cold starts. If this engine is equipped the same way, replace it with a fully adjustable carb with choke that you can get off of Ebay for around $ 15.00
Michael

They are good if left stock as the flatheads go, the OHV engines can take some mods and some abuse. I'd like to find a nice OHV 6.5hp powersport, an NOS one would really be sweet.
Yeah btw everyone i bought the 3.5hp, & it looks like its going to be a good motor. noew he is selling a 6.5 powersport for 50 in very good shape & am thinking about picking it up as well. not sure yet though

Well, is a Ford any good? Many HATE Tecumseh, not without some validation. Tecumseh, ( especially the newer ones, ...as previously mentioned,...are notorious for carb problems.)

Another problem with Tecumseh is they are no longer in business. I'm the kind of guy that loves to see old stuff revitalized. However, be aware that it's not the easiest route.

I'm not going to say any more at this time.

They're great engines after you find a quality adjustable carb. I just ordered a china carb for mine and finally got a dud LOL New one on the way. Anyway, they're nice engines. The billet rod mentioned above does NOT fit the H35 power sport (3.5hp.) There's a bulge in the block on HS40 and HS50 engines to clear the rod bolts that is not present on H35 blocks despite sharing similar architecture in the crankcase. If it's the HS40 Power Sport 4hp flathead, the billet rod should fit. Keep the governor set to 3200RPM and the oil changed if it's the 3.5hp and you'll be fine. Suprising amount or power for a little engine.

markus

They're great engines after you find a quality adjustable carb. I just ordered a china carb for mine and finally got a dud LOL New one on the way. Anyway, they're nice engines. The billet rod mentioned above does NOT fit the H35 power sport (3.5hp.) There's a bulge in the block on HS40 and HS50 engines to clear the rod bolts that is not present on H35 blocks despite sharing similar architecture in the crankcase. If it's the HS40 Power Sport 4hp flathead, the billet rod should fit. Keep the governor set to 3200RPM and the oil changed if it's the 3.5hp and you'll be fine. Suprising amount or power for a little engine.
3200 rpm????? The factory setting for the late model H35/H40 minibike/kart style engines was 4000, 3750 for tillers/edgers and crap like that......Open her up a little grandpa :laugh:

3200 rpm????? The factory setting for the late model H35/H40 minibike/kart style engines was 4000, 3750 for tillers/edgers and crap like that......Open her up a little grandpa :laugh:
Heh....fat-fingered that. Was supposed to say 3500RPM. I'm a little conservative with Tec's....Power Sports have the better angle cap rod but they're still fragile :D

Personally I hate these motors they are junk I tried to like these but they suck ,the fun out of riding. buy anything but that motor they have valve issues I had one that would go for miles and then drop a valve idleing junk that's why they went out of business .in my opinion Good luck

Personally I hate these motors they are junk I tried to like these but they suck ,the fun out of riding. buy anything but that motor they have valve issues I had one that would go for miles and then drop a valve idleing junk that's why they went out of business .in my opinion Good luck
Your experience is not typical for these engines. Once you replace the non-adjustable "primer bulb" carb with a conventional, fully adjustable carb with choke, these are good engines.
Michael