Assembly lube

Is permatex ultra slick a good assembly lube to use when replacing a crankshaft in a hs50
Tecumseh? If not, what brand is better suited?
Any other tips or suggestions are also appreciated since this is my first deep dive into one of my mini bike engines. I have torque specs and an inch pound torque wrench. Thank You ahead of time for any input.

Get yourself some Redline Assembly Lube and use it liberally everywhere that there is a wear surface (e.g., crank journals, crankpin, piston pin, rod,camshaft, block bushings/bearings, etc.) I've been using it exclusively for over 15 years on dozens of engine rebuilds.
Michael

Last edited:
Thank You Michael.
Get yourself some Redline Assembly Lube and use it liberally everywhere that there is a wear surface (e.g., crank journals, crankpin, piston pin, camshaft, block bushings/bearings, etc.) I've been using it exclusively for over 15 years on dozens of engine rebuilds.
Michael

That Permatex will work fine. Just be sure to get it everywhere you have moving parts like creia said. You're just trying to keep any wear at bay until oil reaches those areas once the engine is running.

I use the Harley Screamin' Eagle assembly lube on my engines. It's what I generally have on hand since I work at a dealership and can just grab it when I'm at work. It's worked fine for me on a bunch of engine builds.

STP thinned down with motor oil, applied with a paint brush.
I like that idea and was thinking about using STP at the onset of this project but after some research I decided to get a bottle of Redline for this and future builds. I’ve always been a fan of STP and Marvel Mystery oil and use both in all of my engines. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mr. Pink

STP thinned down with motor oil, applied with a paint brush.
I like that idea and was thinking about using STP at the onset of this project but after some research I decided to get a bottle of Redline for this and future builds. I’ve always been a fan of STP and Marvel Mystery oil and use both in all of my engines. Thanks for your suggestions.
That is what we would use when replacing cylinders and pistons on air cooled aircraft engines when I worked as an A & P.
Looks like Lycoming is still recommending this concoctation.

Lycoming Assembly Lube.jpeg