Awesome guide to modding Briggs 5 hp flatheads

and one other thing.....
check with arc.com they used to have a picture on there sight with what happens when a lawnmower flywheel was used in a racing application. not a good sight. more than enough people have been hurt or killed with them. look around the internet,you'll see more examples.
NOW FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE.

It's been my experience that folks with no experience resort to this kind of post. Why? Because you don't have the answers.
In 4+ decades, I have never had any balancing issues.
I (or you) have never experienced this.
I can prove what I post. Can you?
Seen Elvis lately?
Dude, enough already. Run whatever flywheel you want and maybe you'll find your testicles on Jupiter. Keep your unprofessional opinions about this subject off of this site.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

So, in the opinions of the veteran Briggs builders here, what in the guide at the start of this thread are the biggest benefits/most beneficial? I'm reading things across the site and web that seem to conflict with what I've read, so I'm looking for what I should be considering when building a 5hp Briggs with Cheater 94ss cam, billet lifters, dual springs, header, and aftermarket carburetor (unsure as of what kind?). I'm not necessarily looking for out and out speed, but kind of an all-around package for torque and a good powerband.

So, in the opinions of the veteran Briggs builders here, what in the guide at the start of this thread are the biggest benefits/most beneficial? I'm reading things across the site and web that seem to conflict with what I've read, so I'm looking for what I should be considering when building a 5hp Briggs with Cheater 94ss cam, billet lifters, dual springs, header, and aftermarket carburetor (unsure as of what kind?). I'm not necessarily looking for out and out speed, but kind of an all-around package for torque and a good powerband.
I'm sure I am not a veteran or pro (probably a jackass to whoever it was that keeps going on about the flywheels :glare: ) But in my experience, I will take car of the supporting mods first which are the billet rod and flywheel, then go from there. I like the loop type headers because they are good for a stocker type flathead and have a bada$$ sound, almost like a Harley. I have not really ventured too far from the stock carb on a stocker flatty, I just use the flip choke carbs and mod em. Light porting on both the intake and exhaust will help compliment your upgrades. I would go with the 107ss cam, it requires relieving the lifter bores, but its lift will not require the use of a milled head. Billet lifters and the correct springs should be used with whatever cam you choose. Flatheads are great engines and easy to work on, hell, Id even call em addicting, I lost count of how many ive built and sold. :thumbsup:

This thread is not intended for questions and silly quarrels. Any questions should be brought up as a separate thread. It would be nice if this thread could be frozen by an admin to prevent further replies.

Interesting how this is my first post in months...

C9H13NO3

This thread is not intended for questions and silly quarrels. Any questions should be brought up as a separate thread. It would be nice if this thread could be frozen by an admin to prevent further replies.

Interesting how this is my first post in months...
Just ignore him. He has no clue what he's talking about, just an asshat troll.

Also, don't fight with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

One last thing. People may appear bright upon your meeting of them, but when they speak you realize their stupidity. This is because light travels faster than sound.

Last edited:
So if I have a mini bike with a 5hp with only a strate pipe and upgraded carb, and I give it full throttle off the ground the flywheel will shatter or fly off? :confused:

So if I have a mini bike with a 5hp with only a strate pipe and upgraded carb, and I give it full throttle off the ground the flywheel will shatter or fly off? :confused:
Unless flywheel has been molested in some way, it will not shatter or fly off.
Has flywheel ever been removed for any reason?