Azusa Mini-Bike Frame

Can anyone tell me what the weight capacity for this frame might be? I'm looking for a manufactured frame that can handle an occasional 250 lb. adult.

I am a 230 pounder, never had any probles with my Azusa frame deforming or bending. But, yea, the word minibike has the name "mini" in is so it is supposed to be small. Minibikes are intended for kids. If you are a 400 LB "El Blotto Maxo" even a 350 LB'er you may just be too big for a minibike, but, yeah, the Azusa frame is well made and can take a beating. Attaches is my Azusa with the old Harbor Freight engine, now a classic Briggs 5 HP, even older.

Bumblebee

Attachments

Harquebus

I am a 230 pounder, never had any probles with my Azusa frame deforming or bending. But, yea, the word minibike has the name "mini" in is so it is supposed to be small. Minibikes are intended for kids. If you are a 400 LB "El Blotto Maxo" even a 350 LB'er you may just be too big for a minibike, but, yeah, the Azusa frame is well made and can take a beating....
Woefully late reply.

Respectfully, no, they were not intended for kids. The first ones, just like go karts, were devised by adults for adults. In the 1950s, minibikes were hand-made by enthusiasts. These were first popularly used as pit bikes, to quickly travel to and fro in the staging-areas during races...

Then later on they were mass produced, became "toys" and were advertised in the Monkey Wards catalog and the Sears Wishbook for 13 year olds or whatever the age range was. Not exactly kiddie-fare, more like "young adults". Nowadays childhood extends into the age of 25 if I understand current trends and the way the human race has de-evolved. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and perception.

Minimichael

I've been wondering along the same lines for a while now. My own odd collection of minis carry my 210lbs okay...one seemingly by the grace of God, and the other (a bonanza) being a brick, so no worries there for me or any of the kids. But I'd really like to have a die-hard, safe and fun rider for the occasional guest - no matter their size. One that, as a homeowner, I'd feel better putting a guest on. Thinking a shiny Coleman of some kind ought to be in my future, but them stories on here haven't been too encouraging either! My vintage Arctic cat frame has to be my sturdiest and most comfortable mini yet. Seems they just don't want to make em like they used to.

Last edited:

Harquebus

I don't think the Coleman, Baja and other China-minibikes have a poor reputation, necessarily. We only hear about the bad ones here on the forum either flawed from the factory or user-error. And the 196-200cc engines are pretty well proven and the bikes are good enough I guess.

I'd look for one of those big mini bikes like Baja Warrior, Mega Moto 212, Massimo MB200

And pffft, sad times when there's a plethora of men and women in 250lbs and up range. Lose that weight folks, and you can go faster on your minibike.

Minimichael

Hah! I love that pic!

Anyway, thanks, Harq. I think I've started the same conversation on here before. And you guys probably said as much before, too. But it's good to hear again! And you're right, it's been the latest few posts about frame problems. Maybe engine mounts too.

I'll look up weight limits for these. Reviews, too. Sure my adult guests can assess their own risks. Though it's not unusual for friends or guests my age to be in the 300 range. And I think it's just comforting to hear a company that's still in business saying what their bike can handle today. Then at least we can all be on notice.

Last edited:

Harquebus

I know who that is. That is Hoss from Bonanza (thank God for reruns and classic TV).

I just read that he was 6' 4" and his Wiki says he was 300 lbs in his school days but nothing about his adult weight. He was considered fat in those days but he is far, far from current era-morbidly obese. Tons of photos like this around the web, to include Steve McQueen looking like a clown on a clown cycle. You proved my point, many thanks!