B&S 80202 Carb replacement

Im having trouble getting the throttle linkage on my mini bike to jive together and im curious if any you B&S gurus can recommend a replacement carb that will work with these engines. Being as the bowl is in the tank I see several different ones on amazon and such that look like theyll fit, is there any truth to this? Or am I stuck with the one it came with?

You can use a PZ-19, (Chinese clone), and a Briggs intake, part number 691922. It will need some simple modiication, but it is a popular swap. You will also need a different/seperate fuel tank, mounted somewhere near the engine.

That is for a 5hp engine. Is yours a 5hp? What is the series number on your engine? Does it match those listed in the ad you posted?

Last edited:
The 5HP carbs have the longer fuel pickup tube going into the larger/deeper 3 qt fuel tank. The 3HP fuel tanks were smaller/shallower and only 2 qt.
Michael

The 5HP carbs have the longer fuel pickup tube going into the larger/deeper 3 qt fuel tank. The 3HP fuel tanks were smaller/shallower and only 2 qt.
Michael
So technically it would work with some minor modification, but the PZ19 conversion is probably a better option plus its probably cheaper at this point.

So technically it would work with some minor modification, but the PZ19 conversion is probably a better option plus its probably cheaper at this point.
Yes, you are correct. If you install the shorter fuel pickup tube made for the 3 Hp they work just fine.
Michael

No, the PZ19 would still be around $60 with the manifold adapter and you would still have to buy a different tank. Anywhere from around $15 and up. The plastic tubes are available. With a little work, any plastic tube can be made to fit. Just measure the total length of your tube, remove the plastic bottom section, cut your new tube to match the one you removed, LIGHTLY heat the end of the new tube and slide it on, to the proper length. Most lawnmower shops will carry them. But, I'm curious. How does replacing the carb, fix your linkage issue? Aren't you going to have the same issue, with the new replacement?

No, the PZ19 would still be around $60 with the manifold adapter and you would still have to buy a different tank. Anywhere from around $15 and up. The plastic tubes are available. With a little work, any plastic tube can be made to fit. Just measure the total length of your tube, remove the plastic bottom section, cut your new tube to match the one you removed, LIGHTLY heat the end of the new tube and slide it on, to the proper length. Most lawnmower shops will carry them. But, I'm curious. How does replacing the carb, fix your linkage issue? Aren't you going to have the same issue, with the new replacement?
So im also having a clearance issue with the tank being 1/4 inch away from the tires. When I first got it years ago it had a techumseh engine on it so the gas tank was on the other side. Im just looking to make it as user friendly for future maintenance as possible. I like the idea of the newer carb and having a new tank also. I haven't totally decided on one or the other yet. Im also thinking I need so explore getting smaller tires to alleviate the space issue and im also having a problem not being able to fit the scrub brake with out some serious cut and chop modification.

Last edited:
A picture or three might be helpful. But, rather than post here, post in the Minibike Discussion section. Just start a new thread with picture, brand of bike, what you have now and what you want to do with it. There is a pretty good chance someone has already done the same thing and can walk you through all of your concerns.

A picture or three might be helpful. But, rather than post here, post in the Minibike Discussion section. Just start a new thread with picture, brand of bike, what you have now and what you want to do with it. There is a pretty good chance someone has already done the same thing and can walk you through all of your concerns.
Will do thank you sir.