Back dating 4HP Tecumseh

markus

I replied to your same question in the classifieds today, maybe you missed it. I just pulled it out of there and deleted it out of the classifieds since that stuff should not be there in first place. Also added some info to make better sense.

Can you change out and backdate the pull starter in these newer engines?
only back to mid 1980's, the electronic ignitions stick out too far to fit under any shrouds earlier than that. they used the 4 post recoil to about 1989 those can be made look like a mid 1970's engine..... cant make it look like a 74 or earlier unless you use pre 1981 crankshaft, pre 75 aluminum flywheel, points, etc..

this engine was from the 90's I used a late 80's shroud though and dressed it like a 70's built engine

cfh

i wrestle with this too. what i do is put old school decals on these newer Tecumseh flat heads. i don't think you can change the pull start from the cyclone to the old school 4 bolt style. you would have the change the entire blower housing and the flywheel cage.

cfh

Here’s the new school motor with old school decals. I think this works really well without having to change any shrouds. The lubrication decal is covering a bulb plunger hole

7DAE05D1-2120-48FB-9714-DC52C054A9BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good!
I feel like the old stickers look awesome but kind of clash with the more modern round sticker on the recoil. Just my opinion though

markus

Markus, Thanks for the picture and fixing my post. That motor is exactly the look I want. Any idea where I can find that shroud?
I'll dig around in the next couple of days, I might have a spare one of those I just have to count how many more engines I can build with what parts I have left.

Far as searching around, they were only used in the mid-late 80's but you can use any "small frame" one, H30-HS50, craftsman edgers can be a good place to find them sometimes, but they don't yeild too many other neat parts since they are sidepoppers with rear tank usually.

Those years are still stamped on the top unless you find a factory replacement shroud, I have one thats from a factory chrome kit that not stamped. So you have to do a little grinding and skimcoat during prep work to get rid of them. I make an SBH/Early HS50 style tag with good numbers for the engine I am building when I "cave and pave" over stamped shrouds that have numbers that dont mesh with what you are building. I make an SBH style tag with numbers that mesh with engine I built when I do that. I did that with this HS50 snowblower engine I converted over to mini bike use, Its was actually a 1977 sears engine but I changed everything out to match a 1972/73 tecumseh version which actually used that style tag so it worked out pretty good (its mounted to the cylinder air deflector bolt on the side)

cfh

I have two motors that are both 5 horse power and made within a year of each other. One has the new style cyclone pull start and the other has the old-style four leg pull start. It’s a struggle to change the covers between the two motors. They don’t want to move easily. You could probably force them on, but it’s not Easy.

Personally I would just use the old-style stickers and call it good

cfh

Last night, I did exactly what you want to do, by accident. I had two motors, one with the cyclone starter, one with the old school Pull start. By accident, I mixed up the two outside covers which I had just had powder coated. Both engines look identicle from the outside, they both have electronic ignition. And they were both freshly painted.

Though it to took some moving around both covers fit on either motor. Which is what you were trying to accomplish, Putting an old cover on a newer motor. But then the problem started. The pull start. The old style pull starter does not work on the new motor. You can pull it but it won’t return, recoil. That’s because probably the cup on the flywheel is different between the two pull starters.

I monkeyed around with it for about an hour and just gave up. And finally figured out which was the old motor and which was the new one, and put the proper covers on the appropriate motor.

Bottom line, you’re going to have to do some work to make this happen. And it’s going to have everything to do with the flywheel. Because I could not position the cover to get the pull starter to work

markus

Last night, I did exactly what you want to do, by accident. I had two motors, one with the cyclone starter, one with the old school Pull start. By accident, I mixed up the two outside covers which I had just had powder coated. Both engines look identicle from the outside, they both have electronic ignition. And they were both freshly painted.

Though it to took some moving around both covers fit on either motor. Which is what you were trying to accomplish, Putting an old cover on a newer motor. But then the problem started. The pull start. The old style pull starter does not work on the new motor. You can pull it but it won’t return, recoil. That’s because probably the cup on the flywheel is different between the two pull starters.

I monkeyed around with it for about an hour and just gave up. And finally figured out which was the old motor and which was the new one, and put the proper covers on the appropriate motor.

Bottom line, you’re going to have to do some work to make this happen. And it’s going to have everything to do with the flywheel. Because I could not position the cover to get the pull starter to work
Man, thats a shame. Maybe we can help you out, list up the engine numbers on the 2 engines in question or pull the parts listing both up and let us know what part number is for the part shown as 285 on the explosion for both engines. :thumbsup:

cfh

Like I said I was doing it by accident. I thought I had the right covers on the right engine and didn’t realize until after I had screwed around with it for an hour that I had the two covers mixed. But it’s good information for somebody that wants to try and make their new tecumseh look old with An old motor shroud. I think if the proper cup was installed on the flywheel, that would probably solve the problem.

markus

Like I said I was doing it by accident. I thought I had the right covers on the right engine and didn’t realize until after I had screwed around with it for an hour that I had the two covers mixed. But it’s good information for somebody that wants to try and make their new tecumseh look old with An old motor shroud. I think if the proper cup was installed on the flywheel, that would probably solve the problem.
Well the original poster asking the question wont need another cup, since they actually used the same cup, he will need to take the cup loose and slip the screen on if he wants to make it looks complete but thats it.

Since the OP is doing an HS40 I'll use HS40s to show this but you can do this on any small frames electronic ignition 1985-up as they all used the same parts, both engines found right here on the site, both NOS with with pics to verify so there is no discrepancies.

First engine fan style recoil 1993 HS40 55565M found here in this for sale thread https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-parts/152204-nos-tecumseh-hs40.html Here is the parts breakdown list from parts tree https://www.partstree.com/parts/tec...-cycle-horizontal-engine/engine-parts-list-1/ scroll down the list to number 285 "starter cup" tecumseh number 34694

2nd engine 4 post "old style" recoil 1985 HS40 55200j found here in this thread https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh/155944-tecumseh-hs40-found-nos.html parts tree breakdown https://www.partstree.com/parts/tec...-cycle-horizontal-engine/engine-parts-list-1/ scroll down the list again to number 285......34694 :thumbsup:

cfh

All I can tell you is it didn’t work. The old-style pull start jammed and would not recoil. Same parts or not, it didn’t work on this particular motor. I know this is only one sample size, but that's what happened on this motor.

Last edited: