Baja heat

Hey everyone, been a while since I’ve been on here and messed with any minis. So I picked up an older Baja heat (red/black model) yesterday for $100. Overall the bike is in decent shape, typical faded forks broken seat....., attempt to fix the steering neck stop, wore out motor and other things. My main question is the seat....... the plastic mount for the bolt stud to bolt the seat to the frame is broken beyond repair, so I am in the market for a new seat. Will a MB200 seat work for this bike? I want to say it will but I know there are some differences from the models throughout the years they were made. Can someone give me some input on this question. Thanks

Here is the seat I’m looking at...
https://www.gopowersports.com/mb200-seat/

delray

pp,if your talking about this style bike you should be ok .

when I was building my bike I had the original material taken off and replace with something else and the seat underneath looks just like the photo you posted. clip in front and the bolt in the rear(mertic)
BEFORE

AFTER

Delray, yes that’s the model Btw. beautiful bike!!! Awesome job on that. Ok good to know about the seat, I’ll take a chance on it and buy it, hopefully worse case scenario I can change or modify how it bolts up.

Thank you

Hey everyone, been a while since I’ve been on here and messed with any minis. So I picked up an older Baja heat (red/black model) yesterday for $100. Overall the bike is in decent shape, typical faded forks broken seat....., attempt to fix the steering neck stop, wore out motor and other things. My main question is the seat....... the plastic mount for the bolt stud to bolt the seat to the frame is broken beyond repair, so I am in the market for a new seat. Will a MB200 seat work for this bike? I want to say it will but I know there are some differences from the models throughout the years they were made. Can someone give me some input on this question. Thanks

Here is the seat I’m looking at...
https://www.gopowersports.com/mb200-seat/
well, you could do that, but heres what i did (mine was completly gone, there was a big hole in the seat lol), i got me a small piece of flat stock welded a long bolt to it, and stuffed it in.
had to drill out the plate. but it worked out great!
(ill post some pics when i get home)

delray

you might able to fab something up for your seat,but for the price for a new seat? not a bad price and your done. and it comes in all black.
with it being all black it would go with any color on the bike frame if you decide to change color? earlier bike frames like them are the best to modiflying into what every you want. only problem I have seen in the pass is if the frame was kept out side and started to rust or in the northern states water would get in the frames and freeze and crack them open. and you can't weld with any of that black coating on that frame. it is a must to stripped off first before welding.

you might able to fab something up for your seat,but for the price for a new seat? not a bad price and your done. and it comes in all black.
with it being all black it would go with any color on the bike frame if you decide to change color? earlier bike frames like them are the best to modiflying into what every you want. only problem I have seen in the pass is if the frame was kept out side and started to rust or in the northern states water would get in the frames and freeze and crack them open. and you can't weld with any of that black coating on that frame. it is a must to stripped off first before welding.
I’m thinking about a metallic charcoal color, I did a gas tank in the color a couple years ago and a few coats of clear and turned out pretty nice. Also I do remember this particular bike had some weld cracking issues due to poor QC across the pond, so once I take the motor and components off I’ll clean it really good and check over everything.

delray

that's little misleading when they say it fits mb200 and they show the same bracket setup underneath the seat. I wonder if that only fits the bike with the raise rear rack and suspension bike? good thing it was a easy fix and you got a new seat on the bike....

I see a easy mounting place a guy could fab up a tail light now....;)

that's little misleading when they say it fits mb200 and they show the same bracket setup underneath the seat. I wonder if that only fits the bike with the raise rear rack and suspension bike? good thing it was a easy fix and you got a new seat on the bike....

I see a easy mounting place a guy could fab up a tail light now....;)
It seems to be that way, to be honest if I would have spent the extra $10 I would have gotten the correct seat that was made for this Baja, but at least now we know that this seat is not “OEM” for the warrior, heat line up. But it gave me something to do that I haven’t had to to before so not to bad. You have a good point delray, tail light...........

Also let me post this pics up to show what I had to do. The first pic shows 2 rubber stop/bumpers. The smaller short stop came off the original seat (heat/warriors). The second pic are the stops off the new seat. I swapped the small stops out from old seat to new seat, this lowered the seat significantly, I meant to put this in my other post

Attachments

delray

well don't feel bad about spending the extra time making it right. when I was building my bike I notes the rubber bumpers weren't even doing anything. and that was supposed to be the factory seat. I had to weld some tabs/plates so the front rubber bumpers would support the seat.
definitely something WONG from the factory. there was a ton of fabing done on this bike to make it right. it might look like a baja bike ,but it's nowhere near it. when I got it, look like it was built on a Monday or Friday...lol

well don't feel bad about spending the extra time making it right. when I was building my bike I notes the rubber bumpers weren't even doing anything. and that was supposed to be the factory seat. I had to weld some tabs/plates so the front rubber bumpers would support the seat.
definitely something WONG from the factory. there was a ton of fabing done on this bike to make it right. it might look like a baja bike ,but it's nowhere near it. when I got it, look like it was built on a Monday or Friday...lol

I like what u did there!! I may need to do something similar to yours to make it work right. As u noted the rubber stops don’t quite sit where they are postitioned on the seat. Looks like I have some welding to do this weekend. :)

Finally got to work on this bike again, I stripped everything down to get sandblasted. De-beading the tires were awful, I spent around 45 min trying to get the tires off both rims , ended up puncturing a hole in the bead so I guess I’ll use tubes now and after that ordeal, the wheel bearings, just as bad..... there is no room to get a punch or a flat blade screwdriver to attempt to drive out the bearings. I had to destroy one bearing to be able to get a punch and flat blade down in there to get it to move... anyone run into an issue like this?
Please let me know if there was or is an easier way!!!!

Attachments

DaddyJohn

The $50 Harbor Freight bead breaker is worth every penny. I suppose it's $40 with a 20% off coupon...;)

On the bearings, sometimes you can angle your drift and knock the spacer tube off to the side a bit so you can get to the edge of the bearing from the other side and drive it out. I'd say it's good practice to replace any bearings that you hammer on in any case. eBay is a great source for inexpensive bearings.

Attachments

Blind hole puller. Autozone rents them. Nice tool to have around. You insert the end into the bore, turn the "head" and it expands enough to grab the lip of the bearing. Then you operate it like a slide puller/slide hammer. Only works if the tool can get a purchase on the lip of your bearing, and the spacer is larger than the axle diameter.