Baja Warrior build for reliability in desert.

Last year I acquired a basket case Warrior at a pawn shop. Engine was not original but a new 212 Predator bolted into frame, NIB GCT TC2. It appears that previous own was stopped at how to install the TC2. There were a few other easy to correct problems that I corrected while installing the new engine and TC2. It runs great as it sets right now and easily climbs any rugged slopes I might encounter.

Being 72 I'm really not looking for high performance but reliability. Walking out or pushing a non working mini bike out of the desert would be bad. The elevation of the high desert I roam is 6000 feet plus or minus. What I understand that normally you would decrease the size of carburetor fuel jet when running at higher elevations. So I was thinking leaving the stock jet. I was concidering about changing to a stage 1 air filter. But would I gain anything by doing that?

I would like to hear any suggestion or comments about building for reliability and what you would carry running in a desert environment.

Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated.

'drif

Talk to @noseoil . He's been blasting through the desert on a modified Baja for a couple of years. Another member to talk to would be @BBQJOE .

I'm only 65, but if a bike crapped out on me in the desert, I wouldn't push it an inch.

I'd leave it all alone. It aint broke, don't fix it. As far as spares, I'd carry an extra belt and everything you need to change it, and a can of fix a flat. There are some other high desert riders here, as well as some desert riders, and them some high desert riders. :)

Charles S, that was an excellent catch on that frame area of concern!

If I wanted solid information on RELIABLE Predator engines with just a bit of power, and knew nothing about them, I'd contact Eric. Help@OldMiniBikes.COM and put Eric in the subject line and ask about the altitude compensation and jetting with an engine running over a mile high. Also @Davis runs these engines at high altitude.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. This BW appears to be a later manufacturing. The frame is powder coated Olive Drab. The faux fuel tank is camo loaded down with colorful safety decals. Fenders also plastic and camo. When the original engine was pulled, so went the lights. Outside my description the bike looks mint. The tires look new. Still with the tiny extrusion whiskers. Admiring the condition makes me wonder why on earth would someone pull the engine? I had to remove the jack shaft assembly and chain guard bracket from the bike and I had to cut TC plate to clear the bikes frame to install the TC.

Looking at online suppliers I've seen carburetors with adjustable low speed/idle screws. Would it be worth buying one of those? There is plenty of room in the faux fuel tank to carry an extra carb, spark plug, spare parts and tools for emergencies.

Years ago (1960's) I had a Tote Goat stop on me and I had to push it. After about a hundred yards I cracked the master link on the driven chain and removed it. Wasn't a bad push after that. But still not fun.

'drif