Band Brake on a Smooth Case

Using the search feature led me to some old threads and not much encouragement, but I suppose it's worth asking again. Has anyone devised a practical way to attach a band brake anchor on a smooth-case Briggs?

Tom,
It has been done using a modified/extended crankcase bolt to mount the brake band on. I remember seeing photos of it on this forum but it has been a few years ago.
Michael

Tom , here's what I done on my 61 model Briggs 3 hp engine with no mounting holes. Longer bolts and spacers.

I bought the kit from Allied Leisure, but had to modify the mounting bracket just a tad.

Last edited:
You can weld a tab on the frame. Put it directly below the crankshaft center so when the engine gets adjusted back and forth it doesnt bind.

Some good solutions here. Eric CarplayLB also did some work using a plate that mounted beneath the engine.

If you do a quick check of how much torque 1/4-20 hold torque is in aluminum, it makes you wonder why anyone would use the side cover bolts for anything, much less a brake. OND has the load spread out, which I think is a great idea.

And now back in to my cave to paint a chainguard mount that goes to my 1/4-20 side cover bolt. :biggrin:

Here's one more way to do it. It's not a great shot, but the 5HP engine on this El Burror that I found online has a single large stud mounted on the side of the case. I have a 5HP off of an old rototiller that has the same stud. It's the OEM mount for an idler pulley. I'll have to look at it more closely.

Good Idea Tom...heres a pick of the 5hp Briggs that I just got done with, I used the hole for one of the shifter mounting bolts on my Powell.

Good Idea Tom...heres a pick of the 5hp Briggs that I just got done with, I used the hole for one of the shifter mounting bolts on my Powell...
Yeah, one of my 5hp motors has the big hole on the upper right, but not the four small holes that would be so helpful. Mine has a big pin stuck in the hole. Not sure yet if it's pressed in or threaded or just what. I still have to dig it out of the attic and have a closer look. I have a couple of newer 5hp engines with the four small holes, but the styling on those motors looks too new for the bike I'm building. I really like these earlier motors with all of their rounded corners on the castings and tin.

Here's another DIY brake solution. I found these shots while I was digging through some old photos this morning. Vintage motorcycle show in Corvallis, Ore., a few years ago. Now you know what to do w/the old clutch disc out of your car.

CarPlayLB

Here's another DIY brake solution. I found these shots while I was digging through some old photos this morning. Vintage motorcycle show in Corvallis, Ore., a few years ago. Now you know what to do w/the old clutch disc out of your car.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth!