Band or drum brake components help ...

Hello all new here to OldMiniBikes .... I was looking for assistance if anyone would like to chime in . Im looking to add 4 1/2" band or hub brakes to a azusa 6x4 rear TRI STAR wheel. What parts do i need to make this work ?? :scooter:

Last edited:
OldMiniBikes , rear drum sprocket and 4-1/2" drum brake assembly , I have one on a mini and the stopping power is decent , however not great ! Clutch band brake is better as long as your chain don't fly off :laugh:

OldMiniBikes , rear drum sprocket and 4-1/2" drum brake assembly , I have one on a mini and the stopping power is decent , however not great ! Clutch band brake is better as long as your chain don't fly off :laugh:
Hey thanks I plan to use a #41 chain so I would use a #41 sprocket would i need just the drum with flange ?

Welcome to OldMiniBikes! Why not use both? The clutch band brake will make you stop on a dime as long as the chain doesn't come off or break. Then use the drum brake is a back up. :thumbsup:

Simple Tom is right on ! If you're willing to spend a little time and frustration and a few choice words you can get the drum brake to work pretty well , but 2 is always better than one !

Im using both azusa rear tire drum, and just installed a clutch brake

the drum on my 212cc barely stops it and in an emergency it wont help

but the clutch brake is super strong, too strong
but at least it will stop the bike, use both and its normal stopping power

I just made the clutch brake weaker because if you adjust like normal brakes it instantly locks the rear tire on the streets

I made this bracket for my engine

I used an Azusa drum/sprocket, trued the part on a lathe and centered the brake assembly on the axle......it stops on a dime and gives you nine cents change.

Yeah, the parts are junk, you just have to whup on them a little bit.

Last edited:
im using both azusa rear tire drum, and just installed a clutch brake

the drum on my 212cc barely stops it and in an emergency it wont help

but the clutch brake is super strong, too strong
but at least it will stop the bike, use both and its normal stopping power

i just made the clutch brake weaker because if you adjust like normal brakes it instantly locks the rear tire on the streets

i made this bracket for my engine

very nice thanks for the idea im going to get cracking and make something like it !