Barn find - original owners

I scored this barn find last year and haven’t touched it until I figure out what it is. I don’t want to bastardize it if it’s really something cool.
Complete and original owners rode it around the ranch in the mid west in the late 60’s early 70’s. It ran when they parked it after moving to California in the late 70’s.
A0C51281-A50A-4C1F-92ED-521A82FED279.jpeg ACCF1EBA-B52E-4008-AC4E-F6DFB2DA9065.jpeg 621DDA8C-6501-4FDD-AA89-7E9D1804F923.jpeg

markus

I can guarantee they didn't ride it around the ranch in the late 60's or early 70's as its about a 1978 at its oldest :D

Its a Heald VT-5...bottom of page:

Markus you’re awesome!
Vintage was indicated solely off their story.
They really struggled with it as it had been sitting in the back of their barn over 25/30 years. Either way I’m stoked to know what it is. This forum is going to be a deeeeeep rabbit hole for me ( just joined this morning ).
Thanks again!

markus

you can verify the engine date (the build of the bike would post date of course) by looking the the number that are stamped on the top of the shroud, The 2nd series of numbers usually stamped SER (for serial) right before it. the first number will be the last digit of the year. remaing numbers will be the day of that year it was built. They only made those engine like that 1977 at earliest-1984 so so it will be within that timeframe. If the tires are Carlisle you can date code them usually as well. there may be other tell for the bike itself, but I never did much with them.

Nice bike, those are a great midsize version, and it looks like its real clean! Have fun with it!

Addicted 2 Minis

It's no time machine but it's a nice clean bike, nice chrome too. I would just clean it up, get it going and have some fun. Oh yeah, without Markus, about 90 percent of us wouldn't know what we had, Hahahaha.