BBQJoe's Baja fork suspension mod

This mod changed up the whole ride.
Granted, I have at least 2000 miles on this mini, and the suspension is a bit tired.

Here what I did. Part OMB_9125 from the warehouse. $15.99

Taking the forks off can be done inside of about 2 minutes.
Loosen the front axle and remove that and the wheel. There's a spacer on each side of the wheel, don't lose them.

I then eyeballed the spring, and marked where I'd start. I think it was somewhere between the 8th and 9th coil.

There's only one bolt to remove to get the shocks out.

Remove the bolt completely. There's a keyway cut into the shock for the bolt.
The shock should pull out straight down.

Next, I put the cups in a vise, and using a step bit, I hogged out the center hole just a tiny hair above 1 inch. Go slowly and check often for a nice fit.
I did them just until the upper tube just fit through.

Then placed the springs in a vise and cut them using a dremmel and cut-off wheel.
I suggest starting out longer than you think at first. It's easier to take off more than to put it back.
A snug fit will be preferred, so it doesn't rattle around. But too much preload could cause the shocks to be forced out of the fork at some point.
I first tried using the whole spring by compressing it, but it was way too much preload.
I used a ratchet strap to help compress it.

After cutting, your spring will look like this.

Next, I took a pair of vise grips, and clamped the loose end down the the coil next to to it.

I then took a propane torch and heated about half to 3/4 of the first coil until red hot.
Once cool, this is what I got.

I then took it to the grinder and flattened it a bit so it would match the other side.

I put a rubber O ring on the shock first, to protect the dust boot from damage from the cup, then put the cups on the springs, slid them over the tubes and installed.

Make sure to line the keyway up when re-inserting the the shock tubes.

You may find you have to shim the cups with something, or stretch the springs out to get a snug fit.
Good luck on the stretching!
That's why I suggest going slowly, and trying the fit often.

Pay no attention to the dates, the camera was wrong, and the operator decided he won't use a gopro for still shots ever again.

The ride is much better than the day I bought it new.